Gigabyte MW34SP0 Motherboard

I am sorry for this, I wrongly assumed it was sponsored. I edited the original comment to make it clear that the @wendell’s review was not sponsored.

I understand that my retailer&dealer&distributor do not want to deal with these issues, but I don’t understand why GIGABYTE aka GIGA Computing does not want to provide service&support to its customers.

If what you are saying is true, then we as hobbyists should try to avoid any brands such as GIGABYTE-GIGA Computing, Asrock Rack, Supermicro, or others, and instead just go retail.
My retail A320 AM4 board of 40$ had better service&support than my 500$ enterprise-class/workstation W680 board.
What do we pay the 500$ premium for then? For no service and support?
Or is this premium pocketed by some middle-men that I am not aware of?
What do words such as enterprise and workstation-class really mean then?

Anyway, despite of who’s really at fault here, there is evidence of:

1. GIGABYTEWeb issuing a BIOS (~for a month) that makes hardware to fail

2. GIGABYTEWeb issuing a BIOS (~for a month) that claims Raptorlake support for their Rev1.0 boards

3. GIGABYTEservice not properly repairing the Rev1.0 boards, because they can still not boot Raptorlake after the RMA.

4. GIGABYTEsupport being unwilling to admit any wrongdoing or come up with a solution.

I am very happy to hear this @wendell, and thank you for providing actual support for us.
Being 5 or so cases makes it even more absurd to why GIGABYTE has been going to such great lengths to deny us a proper replacement.

My affected Serial Number: SN2238004632 (pic attached) . The webshop that I bought it from is “quippr dot de” , previously known as “equippr dot de”.

[Edit] CC to some possibly affected users of this thread @happyone @TOMO1982 @Ardillon @etnica @mtk @Jan74 @Trist . If there is anybody else with Rev1.0 problems, I guess now it’s a good time to come forward. Thanks to all on this thread for trying to troubleshoot the issues on this motherboard.

On another note, did you find out what makes the ‘Rev1.0’ board not boot Raptorlake, while the Rev1.1 can?
The W680 chipset remains the same among the 2 revisisions, and AFAIU, the chipset plays the biggest role for providing or not new CPU support.

• Can it be BIOS EEPROM size limitation (an excuse that AMD had for their AM4 300/400 series)?
  • Some firmware issue? (hard to believe, since a good Rev1.1-like firmware could be flashed during the RMA service of the Rev1.0 boards)
  • Some other hardware limitation / issue?
  • Can it be that GIGABYTE is unwilling to support old customers? this would not make sense, because ASRock Rack, Supermicro, ASUS have been supporting their old W680 customers
  • Or some kind of forced obscolesence?

Hi @wendell - I also appreciate your help with this, us minions have no such connections :slight_smile: :+1:

SN2249602545

1 Like

Unfortunately I can’t find my serial since the board I got back from RMA does not match the package. The package is the old one, the board got an other BMC password.
(The old one didn’t start anymore after the power was unplugged; the new one doesn’t have this issue anymore, but also won’t let me into BIOS / save BIOS without crashing and ofc. does not support Intel 13th gen).

Anyhow, here’s the original serial from the package:
giga_old

and here’s the info I can see on top of the RMA response board:

If there is a serial on the backside I’d have to dismantle the server again - please let me know.

1 Like

Not related to recent posts but another problem with this motherboard is it’s NIC support - I bought an Intel XL710BM2 based NIC (Silicom PE340G2QI71) thinking that because there are 3 other XL710 NICs on their support list that it would be supported - NOPE!

So I think the current list of unsupported NICs is:
Intel Adapter E810-XXVDA2 25GBe SFP28
Silicom PE340G2QI71 (XL710BM2) 40GBe QSFP
Intel X710-DA2 (not sure if Intel branded, reported by user etnica)

Not sure if Rev1.1 boards will be any different…

We’re like some kind of club now?
I have a 1.0
LOADS of problems =)
Thank u for input from this chat
gona trie f10
:wink:

2 Likes

what are these ppl there?
download bmc
and it’s .12?

1 Like

Links to latest F10 BIOS (seems same for rev 1.0 & 1.1)

https://www.gigabyte.com/Enterprise/Server-Motherboard/MW34-SP0-rev-10#Support-Bios

New IPMI version for both Revs:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Enterprise/Server-Motherboard/MW34-SP0-rev-10#Support-Firmware

yes but file inside is .12 =)

Thanks or the info about the update. On the homepage it looks like it’s for rev 1.0 too, but the release notes are pretty empty. I‘m not sure I have the faith to install the update…

Oh sorry @NinTrance , I didn’t understand that’s what you meant. Yes, it looks the same :frowning:

I apollgy as well I was(were?) very short :wink:

Oh my!
got the motherboard to boot and with normal beep =)
I have no idea how
Updated firmware, didnt help
fiddled around with settings in bios and somehow it boots =)
12600k cpu, yeah I know stupid cpu for a NAS but it supports ecc
two kingston ecc udimm

Happy Days :slight_smile: :+1:

Has anyone got the fan profile working properly based on CPU Temp? The fans are always running at 100%. This is what I have so far:

If anyone has a working fan profile and could export or screenshot it that would be very helpful.

So what is supposed to happen now? Are we going to get Rev1.1 replacements or did we leak our Serial Numbers and BMC passwords for no reason?

Btw, it has been more than a week since GIGABYTE eSupport replied to me with a “we’re looking into it” message.

It took 2 months for someone to come up with proper flash instructions for my laptop (the firmware package shipped with oem tools not end user) so expect weeks :confused:

2 Likes

Hi. I am a representative from Giga Computing, and recently I became aware of your issues. There is a new production run for the MW34-SP0 rev. 1.1 and we have allocated samples to support those that may have issue with the rev. 1.0 boards due to limitations. However, to reach a fix we will still have to use our RMA process. Below are our local reps in the U.S. and Europe regions that can assist in the process and they are aware of this specific topic, so you can email our local rep along with creating a support ticket. https://esupport.gigabyte.com/
Regional contacts:

Updated below on 5/2.
EU : [email protected]
US: [email protected]

FYI. As it is an RMA process, we will ask that you ship the board to our location, and we will ship you a new rev. 1.1 board once it comes off the line.
Thanks for your patience.

4 Likes

Emailed, thank you very much @LiamGigaComputing :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I also emailed [email protected]