Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite instability after Bios update F10

Hi,

I have updated to the latest F10 update on the board and started to get instabilities playing one game and I crashed in one other game only once. After investigating and checking drivers on both my Windows and Fedora install I noticed that that changing workloads reliable crashes the PC on both OS. For example I can run Furmark forever, but as soon as I start a decent workload on the cpu - by using Prime or CPU-Burner and than stopping it right away my PC will crash almost 100%. GigaByte’s support suggested to replace the PSU for tests, but that did not change anything.

Mainboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
RAM: 4x Kingston KHX3200C16D4/8GX
GPU: Gigabyte GV-R56XTGAMING OC-6GD
PSU: beQuiet Straight Power 10 500W (also tested with a Seasonic Focus Gold 550W)

I am slowly running out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated!

It appears you are using 4 sticks of RAM, have you tried just a pair and test once more ?

Also, did you load the XMP profile or leave at default DDR4 speed of 2100 ?

If you loaded the XMP profile did the motherboard increase the RAM voltage at all ?

I think the default will be 1.2 and perhaps increasing it a little would be in order, like say 1.365

I know on my Gigabyte x570 Master I had to increase the voltage to this for proper stability at the XMP speed rating of 3200.

I’m also running Corsair memory but a pair of 16GB modules.

I tried XMP with 3200 and the mainboard sets the voltage to 1.365V itself (also verified). I also checked for memory errors with memtest for hours. Reseting to “default” puts the RAM at 2400 with 1.25V.

I also limited the GPU to ~125W and disabled boosting for the CPU and the system became really hard to crash. But that’s a limited solution imo. beQuiet offered to check the PSU and check/replace the PSU as it’s still in warranty.

Sounds like you have tried some things already so keep us posted if you find anything else.

After RMA of my PSU (which found nothing) and several other tests I figured out that the higher memory clock on the RX 5600 XT did work on the lower BIOS version of the mainboard.

Gigabyte/AMD changed something within AGESA on the newer version that made the system unstable at 825MHz memory clock on the GPU. After downgrading to the previous BIOS for the card (F60) the memory is now on 750 MHz and all the crashes stopped. The power limit/PSU was not the problem.

I am currently in discussion with GigaByte about returning the card and getting one that can actually handle their promised performance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.