Gigabyte Aorus Pro X570 Raid Controller on Esxi Passthrough PCIe speed

Guys i have a small problem.

I have an Aorus x570 Pro (non wifi) where i have latest Esxi 6.7 and on it i have an HPE P440 4GB FWBC raid controller that i bypass it to a Server 2019 VM.

The controller is bypassed correctly but there seem to be a speed problem. The Smart Array configuration software of HP says in that VM the bellow info
" Smart Storage Administrator

• Controller Hardware Information
Controller Smart Array P440
Slot 0
PCI Address (Domain:Bus:Device.Function) 0000:13:00.0
Negotiated PCIe Data Rate PCIe 1.0 x8 (2000 MB/s)
Hardware Revision B
Firmware Version 7.00
Number of Ports 1 (Internal only)
Controller Memory Module Size 4096 MiB
Battery/Capacitor Pack Count 1

So it seems that the controller works at PCIe v1 X8 which means 2000MS/s maximum speed.

Now if i reboot the whole box in a windows 10 installation that i have, the same software from HP that controls the HBA says this info

Smart Storage Administrator

• Controller Hardware Information
Controller Smart Array P440
Slot 0
Negotiated PCIe Data Rate PCIe 3.0 x8 (7800 MB/s)
Hardware Revision B
Firmware Version 7.00
Number of Ports 1 (Internal only)
Controller Memory Module Size 4096 MiB
Battery/Capacitor Pack Count 1

So its obvious that something is happening when i passthrough the controller in esxi but i dont know what to check. As matter the speed, in that controller i have 4x1TB Samsung Sata SSD in Raid10 and 4x4TB HDD Sas in Raid10 and in tests (i use the Windows Storage Spaces with the Tiering feature) i saturate the 10GB Lan card i have on the machine in both read and write.

Anyone has any clue why this is happening? i mean it doesnt seem to be a speed problem but its strange.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.