Gigabyte AORUS FV43U 43" Monitor

Hello everyone,

I am new here but have found L1 via watching some videos from Linus Tech Tips a while back. I just saw this new Gigabyte monitor recently and there does not seem to be that many reviews. The one I have seen was decent but I have never seen that particular youtuber before so I was wondering if anyone in this community has looked at this thing or has had hands on with it to see if it is good or not. I’ve been shopping monitors for a few months and want to go up in resolution and possibly screen size and reduce the amount of screens I have (Currently running 4 LG’s). If anyone has thoughts or has had hands on with this thing I’d love to hear some thoughts about it and if its worth the cash.
There is a specsheet page over at the gigabyte site that I’d include but apparently links are not allowed. Or it’s because I am a noob here. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance and happy weekend all. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I took delivery of one of these earlier in the week. Disclaimer: I’m not a hawkeyed display fiend like some people - this is my first “gaming” monitor and my experience is limited in this space. I’m a large-format display die-hard though and I’m coming from a 43" LG 43UD79-B - the latest in a long line of 37"+ displays I’ve used over the last ~15 years. None of which were high refresh rate or even terribly nice panels. Just big.

First impressions were great, everything after that had me strongly considering a return. I had problems with text rendering, especially white text on grey/black backgrounds. Also I couldn’t view my system BIOS because the monitor seemed to have issues with at-boot resolution changes and would just shut itself off. The on-screen display was also generally slow and sometimes buggy. The panel itself had promise though so I tried to live with things for a few more days.

The firmware updates available on the Aorus website (f02 and f03) didn’t fix things. However the same unit has a product listing on the Gigabyte support page which links to beta firmware f04. This, so far, seems to have remedied all of my above complaints. No issues with boot splash screens/system bios, text rendering is significantly improved, and the OSD is much nicer to operate.

Now that it works properly I have it running at 4k 144hz with HDMI 2.1 on a 3090 and couldn’t be happier. My take is that this display doesn’t cede any ground at all on the productivity side, while feeling like a whole new world when it comes to gaming. My only real complaint is that there is some color shift near the edges of the screen. That’s just part of the territory with VA panels of this size and it’s not enough to really bother me, but might be a problem for some people. Those people can hopefully afford to buy and replace LG OLEDs or will just have to wait for new products, because there isn’t a better LCD panel available today.

That’s the best I’ve got. It does everything real good. Buy it if you want a big monitor in the ~1000 USD range.

@Eruluthien , let me know if you have any specific questions regarding the FV43U or large-format computing in general. Large-format 4k displays can be a compelling option if you’re looking to replace a bunch of small units. I’m a spreadsheet monkey by day and 100% prefer my real big home display over the side-by-side standard issue 1080p Dells at my office. Big 4k is basically regular-size 1080p tiled two-by-two but with no bezels, and that is as awesome as it sounds.

1 Like

ballisticbrick,

Thank you for the reply post. If I recall right there was something about this screen having no support for 24p… which is video format common to movies and videos etc… Have you tried streaming anything from youtube / netflix and other services and seen any issues with that?

Aside from that one thing, this monitor while probably not exactly perfect seems like a really good one. I am sadly stuck with a 2080 super and considered 2 of these monster screens to replace 4. I have no idea if this card can handle 2 of them LOL but it was a thought. Based on what you posted, it sounds like that last patch from the vendor really squared most of the problems away minus the one you can’t really do much about at the edges. After reading up on your post I’m just about convinced to spend my hard earned green for this thing. :slight_smile:

I do tech support for a bank so it would be fantastic for work while they have us all remote (still hoping they forget I am here and leave me working from home) :stuck_out_tongue: .

I’m not much of a movie buff, but I haven’t noticed anything strange about video playback after many hours of youtube. I just tried a few 24fps mkvs in VLC and they looked fine as well, no judder or soap opera effect. And that’s while in 144hz mode, not even 120hz which shouldn’t have issues anyway (24x5=120). edit wow i just realized that 144 is 24x6…i’m leaving that as an embarassing lesson to myself

Since my last post I’ve only grown to like the monitor more, btw. It definitely would be better if it were an IPS panel, but it would then probably cost substantially more. IPS HDMI 2.1 monitors are surely coming at some point, but unless they come in under 2k I doubt I’ll be very jealous.

Awesome. thank you for letting me know. I think I am sold.
Now… to decide… one… or two LMAO!!!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.