Gigabit Ethernet Drama!

OK so I have a gigabit capable MB. When I connect PC directly to modem using Cat5e cable I get a 1GB connection (as per windows) When I connect to my Gigabit router (ASUS AC1200) windows reports only 100 Mbps connection. I disconnected all other PCs (other cables are only cat5) except main PC with Gigabit port and and still only 100 Mbps. Several days acquainting myself with this new router but I don't see how/if there is a way to switch it to Gigabit.

Thoughts?

Oh and yeah know Gigabit...no one needs it but htat's not the point. On paper I have Gigabit capable hardware so I wanna see the 1Gbps regardless dammit!

If you're not getting a gigabit link then it's pretty much going to be one of two problems:

The cable is damaged.

One of the devices is not gigabit.

There won't be an option to enable gigabit as it will just work so long as everything can use it.

3 Likes

So the router is broken? When I connect PC to Modem directly I get gigabit but when I connect through router with no other devices connected it reports 100 Mbps. If the modem to router cable is not cat5e would that account for discrepancy? cable is not labeled but came with the router

There's a good chance that cable is only Cat5, hence the 100mbps. Try it with another one that you know is 100% 5e, might solve the problem!

I'm pretty sure most default cables that come with routers are only Cat5 and like @Dexter_Kane said, you can only be as fast as the slowest link in the network.

sounds right but the ify cable is the WAN cable (modem to router) would that affect the LAN port speeds?

just to test, connect the computer to the WAN port (all we are testing is the ethernet link speed). if you get gigE there, your router is probably hosed.

Every port on the AC1200 router is 100Mbps as per listed on the Asus page:

RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT for WAN x 1, RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT for LAN x 4

Looking at the spec page should probably step one before making a thread.

7 Likes

Asus releasing an 802.11/ac router that only has 100mpbs Ethernet is a shady move, most people will expect a relatively new product like this to have wired gigabit Ethernet, essentially the wireless has much higher throughput than a wired connection to the device. Even the 802.11/n router provided by my ISP a couple of years ago has gigabit Ethernet, I'm using it in modem mode now but I get slightly over 100mbps from the WAN, seriously it couldn't cost Asus much more to include it.

2 Likes

I agree, I find it hard to believe that anyone is still manufacturing 100mbps switches. Fair enough if the CPU in the router is too weak to have (true) gigabit WAN, but there's no reason that the switch shouldn't be gigabit.

2 Likes

In best case the wireless could possibly do 300-400mbps, at least that is what my 802.11/ac 867Mbps AP is capable of in real world performance so I'd expect it to be at least powerful enough to push similar throughput on Ethernet as well, at least on the local network. Besides, the processor in this is likely more powerful than a lot of gigabit switches on the market.

1 Like

LOL, I did but didn't understand/thought it was a typo. How could a "gigabit" router be hamstrung with a retro switch? Shame on me for buying this for sure but SHAME on ASUS! I'm def gonna call about this. Thanks all!

1 Like

Despite our surprise, the specs were clearly listed. Shame on you for not checking.

2 Likes

This is not generally true.. you can set the duplex mode 1gbps/1000mbps full duplex (its in the advanced tab of adapter config). If you do set that and the connection fails then you can narrow it down to be the cable. That being said you lack telling us how far this cat5e cable has gone.. personally ive had too much 1 gbps trouble with 5e and I just bought a Cat6a and it solved my issues when I had it. That being said im on 10 gbe now with a cat6a cable and its semi reliable... You just need to verify your cable is not damaged or inadequate which i suspect maybe the most likely issue

I did check my brother I did. I just didn't understand. When one buys a Gigabit router one expects a gigabit router...u feeling me dog? Surely you already read that I acknowledged this in previous post but I know...I know. It's hard not to take the opportunity to rub a little salt in...I know. I appreciate u

1 Like

Be glad it's just a cheap router.
I've made more expensive mistakes. Not trying to be a dick, just pointing out that there is a process to assure you get what you think you're getting.

Tru, yeah I'm feelin kinda salty rite ear. I did drop $50 on this last month from Newegg so the pain, (however self inflicted) is raw. No shame tho in admitting embarrassment...I think. Not the first time I've done this kinda thing either, which makes it all the more painful.

Check in uefi that your nic is set to full duplex. If I recall, Logan mentioned on the tek one time that he made the same mistake and was blaming the ISP for not getting over 100mb until he realized it.

While you probably should have checked the specifications first, I find it amazing that any recent router from a reputable brand would only be 10/100. What would be the reason for this? Just cost savings?

1 Like

It says "gigabit" because in a perfect enviroment, in some lab, you probably can do gigabit within the wireless if you go wireless to wireless without having to hit the switch. The combined throughput of the 2.4ghz band and 5ghz band are in deed over 1Gbps, but those are labs specs not real-world. Still valid though. You also have to consider that its a AC router on the cheap. Good wireless access points alone cost as much as this unit, which is router+switch+access point all rolled into one. It kinda makes sense to save pennies on a unit this cheap through the switch because the processing for the wireless and the built-in wireless access point are going to be legitimately not-cheap.