Ghosting motherboards in old cases

we used to take antique cases (apple II, commodore Pet, and amiga cases) and modify them for modern mobos. making black ghost’s as they were often called.

Ha Ha Ha usually if any crook broke into your house and saw the dinosaur they wouldn’t touch it.
it was kind of fun to see what you could do with them.

of course replacing the crt with a laptop screen and modding the keyboard and mouse circuitry (to use original equipment) required a bit of tinkering.

What exactly are you trying to get out of this thread?
Are you looking for a general discussion, curious if other users have done so, or seeking advise on a build?

1 Like

just wondering if anyone else has done it before!
many of those old units are hard to come by any more. and it used to be fun to puzzle things out.
half the fun was reverse engineering and re-configuring hardware to accomplish what you wanted.

1 Like

copet
one like this with a modified screen and mainboard is fun to build but with further research these old machines are worth a considerable amount of cash especially if they work.

the image is one on ebay for around $1500 or more

@Braysive might have a few tips, he did a similar prject with a trs-80.

TRS-80 Model lll: _Something Something Cool Name_

ive done it before with others including some apple 11c’s Its fun to fool people with them.
talking with one of my resource guys I might have a chance to get a load of vintage tech hardware from an estate for just going to get them.

I would love to find an old IBM PS/2 case and fit like new hardware in it. Or one of the old beige antec cases from back in the day. God that would be amazing! Especially for my current rig.

Ill keep my eyes open for one for you! (the kind with the two floppy drive bays) was the original ibm ps2

Mine is almost like that, my new case was defective so i had to return it, while i wait for the replacement i installed the system in my 2007 Chieftec Bravo.
It would be a perfect sleeper if it wasn’t for the side panel that doesn’t fit due to the pesky H80i v2.

1 Like

Take a dremel to that part of the panel, just enough to fit the cooler. That would work. It’s what I did for a friend of mine anyway.

What interfeers is the locking mechanism, i could just bolt that thing out

like on some hp’s the had an inset handle on the side panel that would press against the coolers or fan shroud.
with the lock mech removed drill and tap for case screws.