Ghost in the Shell [2017] - Thoughts?

Who saw it? What did you think?

I really enjoyed it. The visuals and settings were really spot on, the story was decent. I think it could have been longer to actually delve deeper into some of the concepts though. As a standalone :robot: its great.

2 Likes

I won't watch it because of Scarlett Johansson. I just don't see her being the Major.

3 Likes

Wasn't into it at all. I will second that the visuals were amazing though. To me, the story wasn't super engaging and the protagonist (don't even remember her name and I saw it like 3 days ago) never drew me in that much. I haven't seen the anime it was based off at all, and as someone walking in with no idea really of what it was, I wasn't captivated or impressed really.

1 Like

Which one.

@TheCaveman Yeah the target audience seems to be really varying. It seems to appeal to some fans and some who's never seen it. the people I went with to see it all universally liked it, and 3 out of a dozen had seen GitS before. But then we all do work in a specific type of field, so maybe the theme appealed in the first place to all of us.

1 Like

I walked in literally not having even seen a quarter of the trailer, my group of friends was just going so I was going along. I don't know the anime so this is just spit balling, but I have to wonder if it would have been better had it either tried to appeal solely to people that had seen the anime or solely to new comers to the story. I don't think I can properly gauge how much of it was trying to appeal to people that had seen the anime since I wouldn't know which elements would be doing that, but I think whatever the balance of it pans out to be just wasn't appealing to me personally.

Major Motoko Kusanagi.

Oh i was meaning which version of the character, from which incarnation? 1995, Manga, sac, arise? They're all different.

1 Like

I am on the fence about this hollywood whitewashing. I hate that they do it but I get that star power pays the bills. What kills me about just the trailers as I have yet to see it is the feel of it does not feel like any of the anime I have seen on Ghost in the Shell and I have ALL of it.

Had very high hopes for this, but alas it appears hollywood and me are NOT on the same page.

I think the whitewashing is just something for people to complain about. There isn't any in reality.

1 Like

I would agree with that, when I watch 80s movies I get the vibes from the movie that they didn't care if it was a black actor or white like in Predator 2 for example. I get the feeling from modern movies I am supposed to care that embody is a certain race and for some reason my Chinese stuff in modern films?

2 Likes

I heard they were basically doing the story from the first film? Is that not correct?

had the entire plot and story line spoiled to me and it's so not a ghost in the shell story, and conflicts with everything else they have ever done that im not going to go watch it. why did they make this and keep the name but then change the story to

hey youre the first, thats right the very first cyborg but oh yea we fucked up everyone else so your not the first something something Illuminati action film.

when i ask myself the question of "Why did they make this movie?" the only answer i can come up with is money. uneeded poor reboot of ghost in the shell with the hope of pleasing the fans who will give free advertising so the regular folks will go and see it, but they completely changed so much because they didnt want the fans to spoil things and they want to appeal to "normal people" but the result is not ghost in the shell. if they just stuck to the source material and through money into effects and the gits crew took on a cyber terrorist who hacked there way into the militarys robot drones or something, it would have been awesome and people would enjoy it.

@frog it is WAAAAAAAAAy off the source material

3 Likes

I could care less that they chose a white actress although an asian cast would have been nice to see for once..

Im just sick of seeing Scarletts butter face in EVERY FUCKING SCI-FI MOVIE

She is a terrible actress and a 8/10 at best.

story is random and out of touch as well, no surprise there

1 Like

She makes a good battle droid though! Somehow, some way. If she had shown some bare chest, she would have been worth it. She was part of the movie's Achilles heel.

Good movie. Not bad, not great. Just good. The action scenes were choppily shot. reminded me of Chris Nolan's fight scenes in batman. Something more fluid would have felt more in tune with the original. Think Hardboiled. Continuous fight scenes but ones that aren't as long as Hardboiled.

Hanka and Mr. Cutterwas a bad move on their part, I though section 6 was better suited to it. Government on government action!

I fell for whole mommy thing. God I'm such a bitch!

7/10 would watch again at home!

EDIT: Best part of the movie was being in the largest room the theater had to offer and being the ONLY one in it! I was hoping to whitewash on the floor to Scarlet but no nudity..I mean, srsly. lol

Edit 2:

Tell us how you really feel. Let it all out.

Ever see the live action movie of Phoenix Wright. Oh man the cast if full of asians and it just looked awkward.

i mean, kusanagi is a cyborg and it's fully established she changes bodies like we change clothe, so race doesnt matter.
"i went to the store and felt like a big black women who dont need no man today"

1 Like

Race doesn't matter! It's true!

That said, we shouldn't have to find a reason in lore to say that the race didn't matter. Fact is, the movie was made for a non-asian country. End of story.

1 Like

Oh boy...

I agree with you on the visuals and everything, they were great. I also loved the character designs, won't see me cryin about whitewashing. But what irks me is the story, I feel they played it too safe as it lacks the introspection that is so integral across the GitS series.
In the middle of the action i was bored and my dad was falling asleep
Minor spoiler
The scene were the Major rips the hatch of the tank was visually stunning but lacked the impact because there was no build up of tension just guns going off.

I promise I am not holding this movie to an impossible standard like a screeching weeb, I'm used to watching anime based off manga based off a game based on a light novel series. I enjoy different takes on old stories and see what new things are brought to the table but GitS 2017 brought nothing.

Weeb nitpick
Ok, having all the members of Section 9 definitely tickled my fancy but they gave Togusa the wrong gun, he is supposed to have a Mateba auto reveolver but in the movie he has a Chiappa Rhino. Sure it's weird revolver with the barrel on the 6 o' clock cylinder but it's not the same!

Edit

I want to make it clear, I don't think the movie was bad it just wasn't good either IMO.

2 Likes

I have little to no experience with Ghost in the Shell. I watched it back in middle school and forgot all about it aside from the nudity which I thought was awesome lol.

After I saw the movie, I watched the cartoon again and did a bit of off the cuff comparisons. The story in the movie had some missed opportunities. The largest of which were the multiple scenes with the garbage men. In the cartoon, it was set up very well and there was a lot of emotion at the end when he breaks down and starts crying. The guys at section 9 didn't even treat him like a prisoner, they just told him straight up that he never had a daughter, never had a wife at any point and he lived alone for about a decade. They were so honest and genuine with him then he breaks down in tears about his fake existence. There was a lot of emotion there that the movie washed away with a suicide. At least they could have shown the emotional break down...I chalk that one down to bad acting and the movie studios desire to dumb it down for some reason.

dat eye for detail. Who was that in the movie again? I'm sorry, I couldn't keep these Chinese names straight lol i said Chinese. Just ribbin' ya breh

So as a fan of the anime movie I was in the mindset of it won't be horribly bad but it wouldn't grab me by the bollocks.

I was correct I liked the film my friends who never saw GITS liked it too but I found myself losing interest part way through. It was like they wanted to make a faithful recreation of the first one but they try to tell another story along with it.

The problem was it didn't do it well and it felt like I was watching two movies at the same time with different plots and bad pacing between them.

I went in John Snow style: Knowing nothing, except for "Making of Cyborg", two trailers and the tested videos on some props.

Occasionally I felt the camera work beeing a bit off.
For the amount if Sci-Fi elements, the CGI was on moderate levels as in "not everything we could do with CGI but also just build in real life, we built in real life".
After the movie I felt it was a bit short. Especially the self-doubt part Major went through. The end itself was cut short. Someone must have looked at the playtime and noticed the movie appraoching 110 minutes. And this someone decided to cut the ending short.
Soundtrack varied between okay and good. Could have done with a tad more volume in parts, was good during the action scenes tho.
TL;DR Good Sci-Fi Action movie that had one or two rough edges.