Ghekko server: A Series of Non-thought out Events

Big Balla Gek

3 Likes

Groove street, home.

2 Likes

It’s even better.

It was laying in a warehouse for few years, I got it for free, my bro’s company just ate those $10 for me, just to get rid of it.

1 Like

ur gay

no but actually this is making me want to put more work into my bsd machines XD

probs a thread tomorrow since I won’t have anything to do and the ree has chilled out.

1 Like

REEEEEEEE

2 Likes

NON-THOUGHT OUT EVENTS 8-14 gek is actually R word

Remember this?

I’ve already contacted some local craigslist guy who sells this:

Claims it’s unused and shipped from US, so seems to be as good as any, the plus is that he’s local, no shipping!

GOT EEM!

Another nvidia card in the family! Hol up, OpenBSD doesn’t support Nvidia tho… :man_facepalming: I am 200% dumb. Oh well, I don’t have PSU anyways. Speaking of that. I needed to test if it even works.

I have old 20pin PSU, but that won’t cut it.

:thinking: let’s just plug the Ghekko-Jr into Ghekko, some wincest never hurt nobody.

Aaaand it doesn’t work… Fuck is it the PSU set up or GPU? Fuck it, let’s test it on Pentium 4 granny.

Aaaand it doesn’t work… Oh haha, I put that DVI wrong way in, let’s try that again. :sweat_smile:

There we go! don’t test your stuff like that, I am professional gek, so it’s fine for me

Maybe, wincest doesn’t work, let’s try someone bit older than the Jr. IBM shall do it again, right?

Aaaand it doesn’t work… Oh wait, forgot about the 4pin for the CPU… I think I am actually, literally mentally deficient.

Beautiful jank, okay let’s do it.

THE GHEKKO IS ALIVE!

On life-support from IBM, but hey! Okay now that I know it all works, let’s get back to Ghekko-Jr.

There’s an internal USB port for stick to put an OS on, but I’d rather put it on an SSD, plus there’s a free SATA port that’s not in the caddies.

Fuck, it should work, but I hate those 4-pin Molex to SATA cables, I had an SSD die by short already coz of one. I think it’s coz the pin moved on another pin, coz the connector wobbles like shit on a stick.

Yeah, that’ll do it! Now to install OpenBSD there

Yee, boi!

Wait, why doesn’t the IBM boot up? FUCK

4 Likes

because you touch yourself at night

2 Likes

speaking of that, 12:30 AM, I better go to bed, nobody posts anything funny here anyways

5 Likes

if you werent so anti discord you could get in with the cool people

3 Likes

discord works too well for me to like it, plus too mainstream

I mean it’s proprietary, reeee

4 Likes

theres no limits to what you say and no one to piss off though

2 Likes

:frowning: no discord for gek, such is life.

3 Likes

rubs hands

it’s necro time bby. get ur thread ready. wait this is mine…

So. So, so, yeah. I FINALLY got the missing parts!

I pulled 8 GBs out of my PC ( I ain’t using it anyways, and I still got 16 GBs left) and bought 8 more gigs! ATM 8 went into ghekko, and 8 into ghekko-jr (upgrade from 1 to 8 ey :wink: ) But that might change.

Since it’s been a long time , a reminder:

• ghekko: Xeon server, pure ghetto
  • ghekko-jr: Athlon II New based NAS sever from HP

I got a nothing fancy PSU, nothing much to say about it. 500W. And I got 2x 4 TB (3.6 actually) that I will stuff the junior with. :thinking:, oof at wording.
Will just do RAID 1 and be done with it, haven’t thought out the upgrade path tho.

So, some pics?

junior being open wide and stuffed

open case surgery

Now, since the hardware part is done (maybe some misc stuff later?) It is time to INSTALL OPENBSD!!!111!!1!1!

And so I did. Now I have 3 OpenBSD boxes at home.

There’s just a small problem, I installed i386 not AMD64… so uh, yeah. That gave me an opportunity to thing about what am I doing.

Here’s what I thought. OpenBSD uses FFS as it’s file system, I barely get by there doing basic stuff (haven’t had the time to read my OpenBSD book yet, what with the job and Masters) and well, I know for a fact that OpenBSD sacrifices some speed for security. But these are LAN only servers, so why?

So I am thinking to just use Linux. I am much more familiar with that, there’s more info on them out there, and heck, much better variety of file systems to choose are available.

My idea atm is Debian. Why? Coz I run CentOS on my VPS, and don’t get me wrong it’s totally fine, just that I don’t like the packaging situation.

You may (more likely not tho) ask:

Why not Arch?

Well, Arch was really (surprisingly so) stable for me, I just don’t wanna thinking about my servers, and Debian is one of those stable, 2-3 years release cycle distros, so it works out.

Feel free to suggest me other shit tho.

I will leave the old ass IBM ThinkCentre running OpenBSD tho, if I ever wanna play with it tho.

Anyways, that’s basically it. I’ll research a bit more on Debian and NFS and bare git and what not before I proceed, plus I come tired as fuck from work (1.2k lines changed today lmao 50/50 add delete) so I don’t do much during work week anyways.

Cya in another 70+ days lmao?

5 Likes

You are missed my friend. Dont be too much of a stranger.

1 Like

Debian and Ubuntu LTS are 5 year support cycle, CentOS is 10 year support cycle, OpenSUSE is 3-4 year support cycle. Debian is my go-to for server stuff.

1 Like

Very nice debian is good its just a bit aged but I dont think you need bleeding edge huh?

mfw my first raid

6 Likes

why is it resyncing?

Just MD things.

Unless you tell it to assume clean. It runs a full sync on an empty volume.

1 Like

so you could make a mirror from an existing drive with data on it without losing whats there?