Getting Online

Please advise if I understand how getting a site online works correctly.

1. Get hosting (bluehost)
  2. Pay DNS to point my ip to human readable domain name.
  3. My uploaded index.html in the public www file should now be displayed.

At this point I have written my files, FTP'd files to bluehost service to the public/www file. Now do I just need to pay the 11 bucks a year for DNS and I'm doing it?

Yeah but index.html is oldschool. =)

You may hvae to go to your HOsting site and have your DNS service point tot he correct ip address

Why did I think this was going to be easy? LOL.

Anyways, so there is an IP address associated with the site, the domain name is registered. The public_html directory has my index.html file. Still not displaying. Is their anything you can think I should check. Also, how long does it take for a site to appear after the files have been uploaded (hours, minutes, seconds?).

Additional information:
- When I try to visit the Domain name it returns "Server not found."
- When I visit the IP address, it returns a message saying "You are seeing this page because there is nothing configured for the site you have requested. If you think you are seeing this page in error, please contact the site administrator or datacenter responsible for this site."

When your purchase a domain you have to set it up to point to a certain IP address. Your hosting site has a static IP address if you type that ip address you will get to your index.html page. You will have to log into your domain service and input that ip address. it will take up to 24hours for it to update and it will start pointing to correct webpage.