Getting into METAL - Need Recomendations

In the past I lightly listened to some metal on the radio, mostly some stuff from the 70s and 80s.

But recently I really got into KMFDM and I wish to get more into metal and if possible more music with the same/similar tone and subject matter.

Any suggestion is welcomed.

1 Like

Thrice, Cry of the Afflicted, Children of Bodom, In Flames, August Burns Red, Parkway Drive, older All That Remains, older Killswitch Engage.

Thank you, I will give it a listen.

Check out this thread
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/never-listened-to-metal-before-suggest-songs-to-listen-to/97621

My recommendations are in these posts:
On the lighter side - thrash w/ clean vocals (think Metallica)

On the heavier side

1 Like

Are you oppose to growely or screamy vocals? If not then try out Amon Amarth, Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, and Opeth. They were all gateway bands for me. Also try out Dark Tranquility there vocals are a little more rough though.

Here's some similar to KMFDM

i think Kat's post is pretty much what you're looking for. since KMFDM are Industrial Rock, Industrial Metal should be easier to get into since you enjoy those sounds. the problem is, bands that people would call the cornerstones of that genre [Fear Factory, Ministry, and especially Godflesh] aren't going to be an easy transition, since they are typically extremely DENSE sounding, they hit you with walls of sounds quite frequently. Godflesh [although people cite them as one of the pioneers] aren't probably going to sound too harsh for you, so i'd recommend giving the other two a go first.

as with anything musical, Youtube provides tons of opportunities to stick your tow in before buying.

I know it is not the same sound but someone else on this site got me into pirate metal so i am here to return the favor.

2 Likes

came hear expecting metal work thread. have you tried metal work?

2 Likes

If you want something similar to the 80's style of metal (and you enjoy great musicianship / instrument driven music) I suggest these bands:

• Angra - brazilian power metal band with a very unique sound, probably my favorite atm
  • Rhapsody (of fire) - heavy classical influence and a lot of storytelling
  • Stratovarius - got me into power metal w/ their song "Will the Sun Rise" also they have Jens Johansson on keyboards
  • Blind Guardian - great medieval sound and my favorite vocalist Hansi Kursch

all you need is Pantera

1 Like

Thank you I am sure to follow your advice.

1 Like

Thank you for your recomendations, I had some prior experience with Rammstein, and I am certainly going to go more into Fear of Domination and Turmion Kätilöt.

Eluveitie, Ensiferum, Tyr, Wintersun, Moonsorrow, Finntroll, Amon Amarth, Opeth, Vried, Klabautamann.

just to name a few.

2 Likes

I study mechanical engineering... so yes I tried metal work :)

Halestorm. Their drummer is the best of todays metal. No one comes close.
Rush dedicated their 2112 album to "the genius of Ayn Rand" and there Moving Pictures album is very political.
Triumph's "Lay it on the Line" and "Fight the Good Fight" are awesome.

1 Like
1 Like

Ah, Fintroll... How I love them. I am going to listen to some Fintroll now.
Time I by Wintersun is perfection... Just perfection.

Maybe listen to the new Amon Amarth album; Jomsviking. I recently got in to metal again and i love the new album.
Oh Arch Enemy is also worth a listen.

For some reason KMFDM reminds me of music from Command and Conquer Red Alert... Awesome.
Ramdom Metal bands: Threat Signal, Opeth, Hamerfall, Dream theater, Eluveitie, Between the Buried and Me, Ayreon, Anup Sastry, Suicide Silence, Blotted science and Meshuggah.
Some of it might be to hard to start out with.
The first metal bands i listen to was: Children of Bodom, Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, Nightwish and Korn.
Otherwise more old-school band like: Rush, Black Sabbath, Yes, Dio and King crimson. Good luck on your journey.