Getting a new phone soon, what one tho?

How often do you get a new phone?

Every 2 years when my contract is up. I had an optimus G then I got this iphone. I want a better camera mostly, so I'm a bit inclined to just get an iphone 7. At the same time theres a few android phones that I like too...

Not sure if you ever used Swappa for phones before but you can buy some really nice used shit on there for a good price, and all the units sold are subject to approval before they are allowed to be listed.

Not sure about the Xperia Z7 but I really like my Z5.

Mind you I do not need a lot out of my phone. Texting/Calling, an on the go web browser and a decent camera is more then enough.

Coming from an iphone 4s it was quite a nice upgrade.

The main "bonus" feature that enticed me was the ability to games from my PS4, I can lay in bed with a controller, my phone and play games such as Horizon or Last of Us with no issues while the wifey watches netflix on the tv. Not sure if you can do this with any android device but it is definitely neat and gives me a reason to actually use the playstation =p

In case you weren't aware, Sprint did away with 2 year phone subsidy contracts. You can sign up for a 24mnth payment plans, but they typically hook you for the full cost of the phone; which is why I went with the HTC 10 when they permanently discounted it. Very underrated device

I dunno I'm in a family plan with my sister and I pay the phone off over the following year. I don't do the bills because the amount of use my phone gets isn't in being a phone at all. And if I do use it as a phone its mostly on wifi calling anyways lol.

copy paste from another topic

I just got an HTC U11 (Sprint also) and I love it. It's noticeable snappier than my S7 Edge was. HTC also has a one year warranty on the screen, so there isn't really any reason to pay for a protection plan, unless you're really worried about getting a lemon. The camera is super fast. Also, it has the edge squeezing thing, which you can customize the force required to activate it, as well as what app it opens. Personally, I keep it on default (camera). It's actually kinda nifty, because it's a little quicker than having to unlock the phone and open the app, which could be the difference between getting the shot or not. It has awesome built-in speakers, as far as phones go. It comes with decent earbuds too. Supposedly they send out some sort of frequency to map the inside of your ears, and then they adjust the EQ based on that. They don't sound super amazing, but they do sound good, and they also have active noise cancellation so if that's important then there you go. The fingerprint reader is also much more responsive than my S7 Edge was.

I loved my LG G4, but it was mostly because I liked that I could remove the battery to swap it out when it died. It didn't have a fingerprint reader, but I believe the newer models do. The camera was kind of slow, but I'm not sure about new models. There was a bit of bloatware, but not as bad as Samsung. The nice thing about Samsung is wireless charging. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it is a cool feature to just be able to set your phone on a little pad and have it charge.

My S7 Edge was quicker than the G4. There was way too much bloatware though. I hated having Samsung pay on my phone, and not being able to delete it, because I already used Android Pay and it just seemed redundant. If I could disable it that would be fine, but I didn't see an option to. The curved screen also got super annoying after a while because any time I was laying in bed and holding it with one hand, I would accidentally press the sides and it would do things that I didn't want it to do. I just really don't like the new Samsung screen shape on the S8 models.

Having owned the LG G4, then the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and now the HTC U11, this is my ranking:

HTC > LG > Samsung

I know some of these issues could be resolved with rooting and removing bloatware, but I think the best phone is the one that you have to do the least amount of work to get it to work how you want it to. For me, this was the HTC U11.

Price doesn't really matter to me since its financed and I'm not directly paying the bill.

Even though it doesn't really matter to me anymore, the nice thing about android phones is the I can flash pacman rom or aokp and just make a tiny workstation for my pocket. I don't exactly care of I have to hack it lol.

I'd still go with HTC personally, or LG. I'm not a fan of Samsung's new rounded screen.

1 Like

I'm leaning towards LG. I know the curved phones were a gommick but I thought theybwere really really cool. I still want one.

1 Like

Hope this Helps

If you can't wipe it and have or want to use google, get something from OnePlus or a Nexus/Pixel.
If you can wipe the device clean and use LineageOS, just look at their device list and pick whatever you like.

You have probably made your decision, but I'll just throw my suggestion out there.

I just got a Moto G5, which replaced my original Moto G. So far I really like it. The stock android is very vanilla, almost no bloat whatsoever. Very smooth and quick, screen is very nice, as is the camera. I am used to having my phone in a case, so it feels weird to be using a bare phone. I had to put some grip tape on the back because I kept almost dropping it. I have never had such a new phone, and Otterbox doesn't even have a case out for it yet.

It's cheap, but that's because I got the international dual-SIM version, which was quite a bit less than the normal US version. Works perfectly in the US.

If you want a decent, functional phone at a good price, I'd suggest the Moto G5.

I'm looking at the LG G6 or the HTC 10, but I will keep your suggestion in mind!