Getting a new phone. Could use some advice

So here is my thing. My phone is off the two year contract and is costing me 40 a month for line access. A new phone would cost me anywhere from 20 to 30 dollars a month. The last two generations I have had are lg g4 and g3. Prior to that it was the Note 2 and OG Droid. I like lg and Samsung alike. But I don't know what to get S8+ or G6?

The key selling point for my lg is that they support 2tb sd cards. Whereas samsung supports 256gb. 2tb future proofs my phone on storage. I am keeping both my g3 and g4 as photo and music only devices. I gave my note 2 to my dad. But those rounded edges on both phones are to die for. I am at a loss as to what to upgrade to.

1 Like

Personally, I would look into the G6. Its a beast of a phone and to be quite honest, I'm certain it'll hold up longer than the S8 will.

That said however, I'd also look at the OnePlus 3T. Even though expandable storage might be a deal breaker, its got a lot of other things going for it

2 Likes

But 2 of these for the price of 1 of what you want. After a few years move to the new one.

Had one and liked it more than any Samsung or LG I've ever used.

Go on Ting and it costs you 6 bucks per line and you pay for what you use.

Would if I could. Verizon offers unlimited data even in Canada. I travel between the two countries everyonce in a while for months at a time. Plus I have 6 lines on contract for the next year or so. Can't switch.

At least look at it.

I actually have researched it. If it were just me I would definitely switch. The problem is I am paying for 6 lines and unlimited data. 3 of the people live in Canada and 3 in the states. Roaming isn't an issue with verizon's unlimited data plan. It is free to roam Canada and Mexico without charge. Ting was something I looked at a year ago just for the people on my plan that live in the states. I will look at it again just for myself to switch. But if I terminate early for everyone else I would be spending 300+ per line for contract cancellation.

1 Like

I was set on having an SD card but after evaluating options and cost the OnePlus 3T is top dog.

Its metal, has oled screen, and superior custom ROM support.

1 Like

As far as I know I would have to switch carriers. I looked into the OnePlus One when I was upgrading to my G4 back in 2015. It is a beautiful phone. The only thing is carrier support.

Ooh, didn't catch that. Its gsm only AFAIK. T-mo, att, and their varients.

I'm an LG fan and still on my G3. While overall still good enough it's just a wee bit slow here and there. So I was hoping for the G6, but all that glass and no longer a removable battery makes me wonder why I'd stick with LG. And they have the side buttons again like everyone else... Though that slim bezel is appealing, especially since I always run phones with a case.

Still would pick the G6 over the Samsung unless the latter is real easy to root to get rid of their horrid software, and just maybe the G6 is also dropping in price now. With the launch price and date being so close to the Samsung's I don't know how they ended up where they started, but a little drop and they could have a lot more customers. (granted, I always cash my phones)

Personally I'll wait a bit and see what the alternative makers come out with as their new flagships, like the Oneplus brand. I couldn't go back down from a 1440p screen though unless I'd really have to.

https://republicwireless.com

I went with these guys on the recommendation of Clark Howard, he has a great web site and radio show on saving money.
My plan was 13 a mo but now it looks like it is 15 a mo.
I got the cheapest phone, it was 150 I think, and it was white. I am not a phone person:)
Hope this helps

Currently have the G6 and it's my first LG phone and I'm pretty impressed with it. Upgraded from a Nexus 6 that had pretty bad burn-in on the screen. I was worried at first since this is the first locked phone I've bought in quite a few years but the T-mobile version comes with minimal bloatware and some of it can be removed. My biggest gripe is the bottom firing speaker. I don't know why phones still do this but it's not an LG problem, a lot of phones still don't have forward facing speakers and I don't understand why.

I think the Google Home deal might be still going on, I just got mine in today. I did see another deal, if you buy an unlocked G6 you'll get an LG watch for free. And if the Google Home deal is still going you'll get that too. Link to the article below.

But a Google Home and a smartwatch for the price of the phone isn't a bad deal. I wish I had waited a little longer to get mine.

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/g6/promo/t-mobile.jsp

Just adding a thought that occurred to me when checking out a LG G6 first hand the other day; While it was nice to grip compared to similarly sized glass phones, maybe I don't actually want this "extra long" form factor. I've begun to think that I'd rather go for some regular aspect ratio phone with these minimal bezels.

Basically the only time I use the phone horizontally is for YouTube in bed. Otherwise the extra height in portrait would hardly be of any benefit.

In terms of specs, g6 to me, is by far a better choice. the only issue i've seen with lg phones is that they heat up a lot. just last week i took my old g3 and a friend's g4 to a local repair shop. well, the guy did fix them, but said they can go brick any day. and it happeened the same night with my friend. :smiley: the thing got bricked. mine's still okay though. but aside this, i have a heating experience with g2,3 and 4. i'm changing mine, hopefully this week and i'm thinking of xiaomi.