Getting 3200mhz on my X470

So I’ve got an Asus Prime X470 Pro on the latest BIOS, with a Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.0ghz at stock voltage. I’ve got G.Skill TridentZ 3200 memory (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) which is on the board’s QVL, listed to run at 3200 on my board.

However, I cannot for the life of me get it to run at those speeds. I’m trying the D.O.C.P. profile which pulled the timings automatically, but I did manually check them to verify. The RAM is set to 1.35v, and the SOC I’ve pushed all the way up to 1.2v (which is as high as I’m willing to go I think).

In this configuration, the fastest stable speed I can seem to get is 2933mhz. At 3000mhz the system is unstable after more than a minute or two. At 3066mhz the system boots but almost immediately freezes. At 3133mhz the system won’t boot, and at 3200mhz the system won’t even post. Those are all at 1.2v SOC.

Like I said, I’m nervous to push the SOC voltage any higher and I don’t think I should have to since this memory SKU was on the QVL. Is there something I’m missing? Anything else I should try, like setting the subtimings or something?

Thanks.

Have you updated the UEFI? sometime memory can become more stable with the newer releases.

Yes, I’m on the latest revision.

Brother has same setup and its just doing 2866mhz stable and I’m glad to read that its not just his hardware :man_shrugging:t2:

But basically what I think you need to do is to just set every sub timing to max, as loose as possible, and then work it backwards one by one
and for me at least, that SoC affects tCWL

It doesnt take THAT long if you just restart & cold boot before doing whatever test you do, I do Warframe

Alternatively, report it to Asus

1 Like

Do you run 2 or 4 sticks?
If you run 4, then you might re-try with just 2 sticks,
and see if that makes a difference.

Also i want to point out that will not miss much in terms of realworld performance,
between 3200mhz and 2933mhz really.
I mean if you can tweak the timings on 2933mhz making them tighter without getting unstable.
That could actually result in better performance then 3200mhz with higher timings.

2 Likes

Glad to be of assistance, lol. I’ll give this a shot and see if it improves the situation at all.

Just two sticks.

You’re probably right…but it’s on the QVL which is just irking me. If it’s on the QVL that means ASUS tested it and I should be able to get those speeds!!

It’s 16-18-18-38 timings, so would I just start dropping these and see how low I can get them without losing stability?

RAM Diagnostic procedure…

Run 2 sticks… If that works then run 4 … if it doesnt. You have an idea of what you need to do. Typically when 1 channel but not dual channels will run it has to do with the timing… Set it as close to its JDEC profile specified on the support page of the product as you can… BUT worst case scenario you will have to loosen the timings up

UEFI being updated is rather important…

RAM is interesting however. A very well timed 2933 kit can beat a 3200 kit on average timings. Pick your trade off… Frequency or timings. I dont see you losing much either way

1 Like

So I solved this (finally) by switching from the A1/B1 slots to the A2/B2 slots. After that, the D.O.C.P. profile loaded perfectly. I overclocked the SoC to 1.1v just to be on the safe side, and so far the system seems stable.

Probably should have tried that from the beginning…

3 Likes

Thats good to read.

Yeah you indeed need to bump the soc voltage a little bit sometimes. :slight_smile: