Gentoo vs Arch

Stallman approves :D

hehehehehe I accidentally deleted everything in /etc/portage.

1 Like

This guide right here. http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SteamĀ 

It says mount /etc/portage to etc/portage in the chroot. Now that I look at it I don't even know why you'd need to do that. I forgot to unmount it when I deleted the chroot folder (that I screwed up for other reasons) and now everything in /etc/portage is gone.

That sucks.

It's easier to use www.sysresccd.org/ for any Gentoo maintenance or installing because it's based on Gentoo and has plenty of tools - it uses Aufs too so you can tailor your own tool chain.

Just chroot into your current install and extract /etc/portage files from a current stage3 tarball and redo your make.conf.

Your PORTHDIR usr/share/portage/config symlinks should still be working.

Otherwise you might need to reinstall.

Ya I copied over the files from a stage 3. I think I have my make.conf and package.use back to normal now.

Well shit. I booted back into Windows for a few hours and now when I try to boot back into Gentoo my motherboard can't find the EFI partition. It was fun while it lasted. Really which I had VT-d so I could run games in a Windows VM. I'll switch completely to Linux the day I can do that.

Sorry i've been away, i did revert to windows unfortunately but i am dual booting so ...Ā 

I am running a nvidia 650ti and a 1440p display

So i need to edit the xorg.conf all the time to make it work and the edit no longer works.Ā 

Would be cool to see some modern benchmarks, especially on Ryzen. Are there any compiler flags that would given Ryzen system an edge over Arch? It isnā€™t obvious these days if Gentoo has a performance edge. Maybe we could convince Michael @ Phoronix to benchmark with it more?

What happened? :slight_smile: What are you replacing them with?

This is closed as it is outside the revived thread guidelines. Feel free to create a fresh topic, or PM one of the Leaders if you think this was incorrectly closed. See here for more info.