Gentoo advantages?

MX Linux is Debian based and runs from RAM, so if you like speed it has that. But because it runs from Ram, running it on anything other then a laptop is a risk in my opinion.

Why do you say that? I would think that a server with 128 GB of ECC RAM would be a lot safer and faster than whatever laptop you happen to find on the street.

1 Like

Because laptops can run off of batteries and AC from your wall. So if the power goes out, you still have power going to the computer and it won’t loose your data that is in ram.

I think you can get batteries to back up servers as well. In which case going for a server with 128gb would work very well. Quad channel memory with a ram based OS would absolutely scream.

That’s actually something that I would want to do. But I still have to find the right hardware. And justify the cost. Because I’m a basic user, I don’t really need a lot of power.

But anyway in my mind having a backup power source is a must have for ram based distros. I guess it does not have to be a laptop, anything would work.

1 Like

I completely agree. I just assumed that the server had a UPS as well, as all servers should (even though my home NAS doesnt…)

1 Like