General Screen Issue

I am unsure how to describe it. I came back to my laptop and it looks like the image shown. Apparently no one touched it. It appears on boot and my docking station works, so I assume it’s hardware related.

Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 9

I don’t see an image?

I am an idiot. Added.

2 Likes

Because it is happening before boot, not a software issue.
Hopefully the display Rubin cable might have somehow pulled itself out of the motherboard? Or one of the ones TS in it developed a little bit of tarnish (very unlikely)
But might be the GPU bit gone bad. Which is especially bad with integrated GPU, as replacement might be… fun?

If it is still under warranty, I would email them and start an RMA process while investigating.

Then flip it over and see if you can access the ribbon cable?

I would advice you to check with the OEM first before doing the opening. It might be an issue potentially with the actual display. Please send these pictures to Lenovo, and mention, that this happened spontaniously. Was the device on, whilst this happened?
That should not be happening on its own. That might be an OEM issue, which just started to manifest itself.
On the first picture, do you remember, was there those two bars, with text on top, before this issue manifested itself?

It’s actually a new work device, so I am doing the RMA. I was simply lost at what this could be. It was on, not touched, TB and HDMI all work still. It should be sent off today. In any case, thanks for responding.

2 Likes

I am having the manufacture check it out and simply not touching it. I think the ribbon cable think might be it displays via HDMI work fine. No errors came back on Lenovo’s checks either. Let’s see what they have to say. Thanks for responding!

1 Like

Hi
In case like this, opening a work device is not adviced. I would personally go to the person resbonsible to do the RMA. And in my opinnion, he should be the one also handling the RMA.
I really hope this really gets resolved fast.

Just a little update. I had to have the device sent of to Lenovo 3 times. The first time they replaced the display. The issue was permanent so it made sense they did something. The next two times they would send it back claiming they couldn’t replicate, but changed something (right). The third time I had to prove the issue on Ubuntu and Windows before they would refund us for the device. Lenovo’s support was rude and incompetent, and they won’t entertain replacement or refund before 3 instances.

It made sense the issue was difficult to replicate as it was spotty. But you just had to use it for 5-10 minutes or generate graphic load. Decided to give the device back and go for an XPS 13.