General Linux Discussion Continued

The old thread on this is two years old, I didn’t want to necro. If it needs to be merged, or just mixed with The Small Linux Problem thread, I understand. Although, my problem isn’t Linux, it’s @SgtAwesomesauce

HEY BUDDY. YOU.

YOU… I am fit with rage. All your talk about “Solus this” and “Solus that”. Why’d you do it, huh? Did you know I was done with distro hopping and content with Debian? Did you know I had given up on Rolling Release distros?

All kidding and idle, dangerous threats aside, Solus has replaced my Debian “devstation” box. It’s incredible, and I applaud Ikey for quitting his day job at Intel and pursuing the project full time.

This could have sufficed as a PM, I’m sure, but I think we could have a positive Linux thread rather than Linux being a “problem”.

If no one agrees, I will spam sgt’s inbox :frowning:

Have any of you tried Solus? I’m genuinely pleased with the experience out of the box, and I love the default desktop, Budgie.

I had it on my test box for a while, Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB spinning disk. Don’t laugh, this little box is still a beast, boots most distros in less than a minute. I make my systems last decades :grin:

With 8x the RAM and 8x the CPU cores, it’s screaming like Rob Halford in 1987.

1 Like

You can pry my fedora from my cold dead hands :rage: /s

Linux is nice. Fedora is better. Dnf is best

1 Like

Currently using Solus: and I really do love it.

I have 3 problems right now with it:

1. Everytime I login to Bungie, it keeps resetting my settings made through the Nvidia-settings utility for the proprietary drivers. This is also after making a xorg.conf file.
  2. Depsite being open-source, they don’t have the MEGAsync client in their repos despite numerous package requests.
  3. It has not been playing nicely with other OS’s It never recognizes my Windows 10 partition.

So yes, I do love it, but these issues (especially the last 2) might keep me away for a little while.

Weird question, but have you made changes to the Display settings in the Settings widget/panel?

Settings > Devices > Displays

I had this problem on Fedora and Ubuntu. Whenever I would reboot, my portrait monitors would go landscape and my monitors would swap. When I changed the Display settings under Settings, saved, and then went to nvidia-settings (after loading initial nvidia-xconfig), the settings stuck after every reboot/login.

Yes, I forgot to mention the exact settings: but yes, it is the monitor arrangement that is not kept.

Every time I load Bungie it moves the monitor I said was on the left, over to the most-right, so that screws it all up.

Options like G-Sync, Gamma settings etc are kept.

It has to be an issue with either the DE or the display manager, it doesn’t seem distro specific.

But I’ll give that a try: doesn’t happen under MATE or even GNOME, just Budgie which is weird.

Wow he quit? He must have a whole bunch of retirement saved.

I know @Schyken uses it. And I believe @FaunCB

2 Likes

I’m sure he was well compensated for the work he was doing at Intel. It sounded rather involved. :wink:

But! To answer your question: Yes, he is a full time Solus dev, living off of Patreon I believe.

1 Like

I reviewed Solus when the “WEHHHH MY LINUX BETTER DEN URZ” bullshit was on the forum and driving me fucking nuts, then again when it sounded like it had actually become an OS worth any salt. Its OK. I’m a void Linux and Ubuntu user though. Potentially Suse and Slackware soon / again too.

1 Like

Heh.

When was the last time you’ve used Solus? I feel like he pushes a lot, and things change periodically. It’s definitely the first rolling distro I’ve been comfortable with in a while. Makes me consider going back to… btw… I use… No, no… Not yet.

openSUSE was definitely one of the better systems on my Inspiron 3000. I fell in love with KDE on that OS. Never used Slackware. Heard mixed things. Worth a try in <insert current year>?

Solus seemed alright when I tried it but…

AFAIK Vega still needs amdgpu-pro for full functionality with dual 144hz monitors and freesync. Ubundu does the job just fine.

Tried wine again today, took 10 minutes before I purged that shit.

I’m over KDE and Gnome both. Both are trash and until KDE has the settings menu XFCE has and Gnome isn’t a total pile of shit I will use literally anything else.

Its linux. Use it or don’t.

1 Like

I am the lord of wine. What issues are you having?

This happens pretty often, especially here. People extol some distro or other, praising how amazing it is. I feel like I could like it, and maybe spin up a VM to test it. I get tempted to actually install it on my laptop.

But then I realize how comfortable I am with Fedora. I have had this install of Fedora running for just under two years at this point, upgrading along the way. And it’s been on two different laptops. It just works, and it’s just so stable. It does everything I need it to do. I’m just about to the point of updating from 26 to 27. I usually stay about a version behind. If anyone knows how to turn off the “Software Upgrade Available” messages that would be appreciated.

But that doesn’t stop me from experimenting. I tossed Solus on an older MacBook Pro. Didn’t install wifi drivers, and I haven’t touched it since. I installed Slackware in a VM to play around with. I am considering trying Void out, as it sounds interesting. I’ve got an old Sandy Bridge i3 Lenovo Edge desktop sitting here I can test stuff on. May be fun to experiment on bare metal without risking anything.

But nothing will replace Fedora on my laptop, desktop, or server. Maybe CentOS on the server if they adopt DNF.

1 Like

this happens to me a lot, but I quickly realise that outside of the main 4 or so distros, I would rather have a loofa enema than try doing it on a actual machine.

On a constructive note, Void looks interesting. I just can’t install the bloody thing.

1 Like

For me personally my OS is what I interact with. I get that people CAN sit on an install for 2 years, like you have, but I really don’t understand how I could.

Prior to Void I was in-between POP_OS and Ubuntu 17.10. One would break and I would go to the other. Been like that since the 17.10 release dropped. Before that I was on arch. I left arch because every 18 updates a kernel would explode and force me to reset and for YEARS I have been looking for a proper staged-rolling OS solution. Void fits that bill perfectly. If I forget to update for a wekk, 2 weeks, a month… It really does not give a shit. It’ll just be like “Oh you’re a bit behind mate. Here, lets take all this shit you’re runnin, sandbox it real quick and lift it up, plop the updates underneath, and you can reboot whenever you feel like (just make sure you do).”

Now… The update and reboot thing gets a little old if you do it often… But you don’t need to do it often. Like at all if you wanted. You could stack your updates on top of each other and live boot the newer kernels if you wanted to and never have to reset at all.

Runit makes things arbitrarily easy. Its almost sickening. “Oh you want this to run at boot? Symlink it and get back to your game or whatever” Its like the Just Ain’t Care of inits. I love it. Odd to that that the OS is the BSD of linux and no matter what it stays interesting. I don’t want to hop anymore I’m finally happy with something.

And that pile of shit called gnome is fuckin gone.

1 Like

Is this better ?

here’s a video set at the exact moment to not waste your time.

1 Like

I was in your shoes about a year ago, until I was introduced to Debian Stretch. I had just hashed it out with the Arch Linux community, and I was DONE. I had Fedora on three computers. I had tried Jessie, and whatever was before that. But the nVidia installation process was poorly documented and not very good.

However, in Stretch a lot of that improved. So, I had Fedora on one workstation, Debian Stretch on another, and a floater machine to try various new things or just keep FreeBSD on it.

I follow Jupiter Broadcasting, and they spoke highly about Solus. I couldn’t get it installed on my desktop, so I didn’t bother. Eventually I got it on my laptop, and it was alright. A decent experience.

I think it was built for a suped up workstation though, and it is awesome.

I recommend giving it a go. I understand if you’re wary of rolling release, and I once though I’d never leave Fedora (still have it, just not on my desktops). But, I went from kernel 4.12 to 4.15 without a hitch on the most recent Solus update. My only other experience with rolling (Arch) told me that my system was going to tank, / partition was gone, and my backlight was going to be dead.

Nope, fired right up like nothing happened.

1 Like

similar situation. been a mint fan boy for years tried a few others but i always seemed to land back on mint.

Installed manjaro last year and havent left. everything works and updates with 0 issues.

Late to the party, I’ve been OOO for a while.

Solus is great, but there are a few things that I found to be unsatisfactory. I’m not able to get my Intensity Pro working on their stock kernel with DKMS and there are a few issues with kdenlive. I’m patiently awaiting their KDE ISO to try it out again.

You’re definitely welcome to PM me if you have any questions. That goes for everyone on the forum, part of why I’m here is to be a resource for those who have questions or want to learn.

Vacation? :sunglasses:

Not being facetious, but isn’t that an issue on all systems? I’ve never used it, but I always hear bad things across all channels.