GC-Titan Ridge does not work with Corning TB3 optical cable on X570 Aorus Master + 3900x

Hi all,

I’m trying to move my PC outside my room using a TB3 optical cable setup. My setup is as follows:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
  • Motherboard: X570 AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0)
  • AIC: GC-Titan Ridge (rev. 2.0) - shorted pin 3+5
  • Cable: Corning Thunderbolt 3 Optical Cable
  • Dock: Caldigit TS4

AIC Details:

• driver 1.41.1094.0
  • firmware fw50

Bios settings (not sure if these are all relevant)

• TB security setting: no auth
  • enabled above 4g decoding and resize-bar
  • enabled IOMMU
  • disabled CSM and enabled secure booting

My problem rn is that when I plug in the optical cable, the indicator light on the TS4 dock starts flashing on and off at around 1s intervals. No signal on any peripherals and the windows Thunderbolt app does not detect it.

Now here comes the weird part when I try to troubleshoot:
If I switch to the default TB4 cable that comes with the Caldigit TS4 dock, everything works flawlessly, no need to restart, plug & unplug the TB cable, or anything else, it just works as if all peripherals are connected directly to the PC.
Then I thought it could be the corning TB3 optical cable’s problem, but if I plug the optical cable into my laptop (which has a TB3 port), everything works flawlessly as well.

This leaves me wondering what the hell is going wrong
Any help is appreciated!!

Okay, some updates:

After transferring GC-titan ridge to the lowest PICE slot, updating the Bios to the newest F37b, and editing the two memory options all the way to the maximum, now my system can recognize the optical cable and use it normally ONLY AFTER booting up the PC with the TB4 cable comes from Caldigit TS4.

So I need to boot up the PC with a very short TB4 cable attached to the dock, then manually swap the cable to the optical one. This works but defeats the purpose of moving the PC to another room.

Thunderbolt is so insanely blizzard and I guess I’ll need to keep looking for other workarounds…

Unfortunately I’ve moved my AM4 GC-Titan Ridge systems to motherboards with onboard Thunderbolt 4 so I can only give general advice.

1. Use the newer Thunderbolt drivers 1.41.1340.0. Install them manually by decompressing the Zip file and right-click on all .inf files.

I don’t know why Intel’s websites are so horrible to navigate. And their automatic Thunderbolt software/drivers package installer has been bugged for years. Thunderbolt 4 drivers should also work with Thunderbolt 3 controllers.

1. Do you have DMA Protection enabled in the UEFI (careful: NOT DMAr)?

2. You disabled CSM, not enabled it, is this a typo in the initial posting? If you enabled it, is there a specific reason?

3. Bug Gigabyte about getting a firmware update for the GC-Titan Ridge. There have been serious security issues that need a firmware update, the GC-Titan Ridge uses an Intel JHL7540 chipset that needs at least a firmware version of 60 for this to be fixed.

There have likely been more firmware fixes since then, version 50 is out-of-date by years.

I take firmware update support very seriously, this was a critical point for me moving away from the GC-Titan Ridge for daily driver systems.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!

• For 1, I tried the newer 1.41.1340.0 model but don’t seems to change the result…
  • for 2, I checked the status of DMA protection status using MSINFO32.exe and it shows it’s off, but I went through the BIOS and couldn’t find any setting related to it, only thing close is the SVM mode which was already enabled. Also checked google and don’t seem to see anyone mention how to enable it only the official guide mentioned very vaguely to enable Intel Virtualization Technology,but I’m on AMD lol. Does it mean I’m out of luck?
  • for 3, yeah I made a typo, I disabled CSM and enabled secure boot

Also, may I ask what mobo are you using now? I’m thinking if things don’t get resolved, I’m probably gonna switch to the newer revision of x570 or x670 platforms which support the AIC natively, or just jump straight to intel…

In most UEFIs DMA Protection is located in the “AMD CBS” menu under “NBIO Common Options”. An example screenshot from an ASUS motherboard:

On AM4 the ASUS ProArt X570-CREATOR WIFI a couple of times and the ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR in a passively cooled system.

On AM5 I’d likely get the X670E variant.

Just checked the BIOS and seems like mine doesn’t have the option in there…

Probably gonna go for b550 creator in the end if nothing works for me… TB is such a pain lol

Be aware that the ProArt B550 doesn’t have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth so you’d have to add these functionalities in if they are important to you. Depending on current deals the X570 variant might be the better offer then.

Thanks for pointing that out! I also just noticed that it only supports 4 SATA ports, which is a downer… but not a deal breaker tho. But thanks anyway, I’ll take those into consideration!

May I ask how you find your experience with natively integrated TB4 on pro-art B550 creator? stuff like driver/firmware support, stability/compatibility.

Also, is hibernate/sleep work as expected? and I assume you don’t need to unplug - wait - then plug in the cable after reboot/cold boot?

I don’t have any issues with TB devices, I generally use 3 kinds of peripherals:

• TB Ethernet Bridge, directly connect systems with TB, this way you get a 20 GbE network connection
  • TB3 NVMe SSD enclosures
  • TB3 External case with a PCIe slot, using it with an HDMI Video Capture card for example.
  • The system can go to sleep (S3) and wake again without the connected devices having issues
  • I never use Intel’s .exe installer for the Thunderbolt drivers, I always install them manually, Windows 10/11 gets the Thunderbolt management software automatically from the Microsoft Store after you installed the drivers by hand
  • To be on the safe side I disconnect Internet access until all drivers have been installed.
  • To be fair I also haven’t had issues with the GC-Titan Ridge, using ASRock X570 motherboards that have that 5-pin TB header so I never had to do any “odd” workarounds

I’ve made a general help thread focussing on Thunderbolt use on AM4 systems:

1 Like

Remembered one issue with the ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR (that might have been just a sporadic manufacturing quality control failure):

On my first unit the HDMI and the two Thunderbolt ports were soldered (?) badly. Tested multiple HDMI and Thunderbolt cables (every cable behaved identically) that work absolutely fine with each of the ProArt X570-CREATOR WIFI units I have access to.

Issue description:

• You plug a cable into the port, the fit is nice and firm
  • Everything is working fine
  • If you move the cables a bit so the “force vector” on the plug changes (even being extremely careful), the connection is lost for a short while; in case of a display this is annoying but in case of SSDs connected via Thunderbolt this is catastrophic.

My purchase was in 2021 but if you happen to choose the ProArt B550-CREATOR please look out for this behavior immediately to not have any issues returning it.

1 Like

Apologies for the necro, but I’m getting similar results.

Motherboard: x670e Aorus Elite Ax
AIC: Titan Ridge rev 2.0
Dock: CalDigit TS4

Plug in the corning cable and it blinks without actually enabling anything whereas the included TS4 cable works perfectly, but my laptop works with the corning cable.

What was your resolution? @PuerTea

I’m now trying to decide if an Asus AIC would be better or perhaps a ProArt MB. I have a dual monitor setup though, so I’m not sure ProArt will work.