Gaming/working CAD laptop - MSI GE73VR vs Alienware 17

Hello guys, I’m new around here.
I am looking to buy a gaming and working laptop 17 inch. I will be using some CAD programs like Unigraphics, Catia but I want to play some online demanding games also. I think a gtx 1060 would be ok for what I want. Maybe you can help me chose between a MSI GE73VR 7RF Raider with a 1060 6 GB memory vs an Alienware 17 with similar specs.

Thanks.

im running the alienware 17 for work and hotel gaming (gtx1060). i went with the alienware because of there warranty. when i have hardware problems a tech comes to me to fix it.

1 Like

I’m not sure about Unigraphics or Catia but with AutoCAD there is a supported list of workstation cards. No gaming cards are on that list. You might make sure that the GTX can be used with those without issue because in some cases you lose support for the program when you do. In mosts cases you’d be fine, but if your livelihood is contingent on this working for CAD purposes I would consider workstation level stuff like the quadro.

Otherwise I say use whatevers cheaper. Probably the MSI if I had to venture a guess.

I have autocad installed and it says it’s using the gpu.

I used these CAD programs on regular desktop cards and it was fine.

As I said, in most cases you’d be fine. In AutoCAD theres a difference between “using the GPU” and a certified & recommended card though. While I’m well aware that your 1070 will probably do just fine in CAD, in fact its probably miles better than my M4000. If you require support from them ever they could spout some BS about it not being on their BS “list”.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534&results=1&stype=graphic&product_group=3&release=2018&os=524288&manuf=all&opt=2

In most cases a gaming card is just as capable if not more capable than the equivalent workstation card, it comes down to hardware support by application. In OPs case I have no idea what the list of certified hardware looks like and what happens when you dont use something that is on it.

Bottom line is, if its what you do for a living I dont think I would put myself in that position.

EDIT:

Looking at 3DS software in general I dont see any gaming level cards recommended. Also found this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/cad/comments/1zwoqd/what_type_of_computer_is_recommended_for_using/?st=j6mkq7fg&sh=c482538d

You posit, then, that they go through the arduous task of vetting hardware so that they can use this as an excuse for the fringe, for industry, products while simultaneously making themselves beholden to the vast majority of products used in industry? I hope your stance is more complicated… That said, gaming cards are sufficient for the the professional programs I use that do not require computational precision, namely CAD programs. If FEA, rendering, simulation, etc. are to be run on the same GPU, then one should abandon the dream of using gaming grade (comparatively cheap) hardware and stick to the certified, ECC, stuff rather than cripple one’s ability to resolve these computations in many cases, wasting time and energy.

My approach has always been in favor of my work. That is, after all, what supports my ability to have free time for gaming and to afford gaming gear, along with all of the other niceties and necessities in life. A mobile workstation is as compromised of a system as I’ll allow under my own principles. What’s interesting for this scenario, to me, is that it seems that it may be possible to turn a mobile workstation into a very good gaming rig by using an eGPU over TB3 with a gaming GPU. That technology hasn’t reached maturity yet, to my knowledge, but I’ve seen some excellent results lately with very particular configurations. It’d be great to see this topic mulled over by the L1T crew once it’s safe enough for general consumption; i.e. PnP with most physically compatible products, or at least a known and practical list.

Some things for OP to consider:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/alienware.html
https://www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/business-reviews/computers-dealers/alienware-corporation-in-miami-fl-4005773 (Not BBB accredited; curious, but potentially irrelevant since owned by Dell.)
https://www.bbb.org/central-texas/business-reviews/computers-dealers/dell-inc-in-round-rock-tx-41453/reviews-and-complaints
https://www.bbb.org/losangelessiliconvalley/business-reviews/computers-supplies-and-parts/msi-computer-corporation-in-rowland-heights-ca-13155122

I have seen first hand gaming cards not get support. You guys can choose to not believe me. That’s fine. I’ve been there done that though. Won’t make that mistake again. It’s like using non ecc RAM on your mission critical server. Could you? Sure. Should you? Probably not.

Again it comes back to if this is your job, you should be using a certified card.

1 Like

This will be my personal PC, it won’t act as a company’s work station. The work I’m doing with CAD will be for educational purpose. I wanted to know which of the laptops I proposed has a better cooling system and which one is really worth buying considering value for money. Take into account both come with 1060 6 GB, but the Msi has the 120 hz display, better color reprodution for the dispaly probably etc…
Thx.

If thats the case. My pick would be the MSI. As far as cooling goes, I have an older MSI leopard gp60 and it cools like junk. I dont know if the newer MSI laptops are better but mine will easily hit 80-90c under load. Idle is around 60c. It is a haswell HQ sku though so keep that in mind. It could be much better these days.

As godsarmy suggested if you have problems with the Alienware a tech will come to fix it (which I think is true for all of the higher end Dells). Here in my office one of our guys has a mobile workstation from Dell and their support for his machine was next business day.

Anecdotally, I have not had any issues with my MSI despite the heat. My coworker has already had to replace the keyboard and the battery on his Dell.