Gaming Without Windows

Itjustworkstm

It depends on your level of learning and patience. My operating system is Ubuntu 16.04. I run Windows games in Wine with debug mode (error report); so I can see what dll’s and ini’s are needed to run the game of my choosing. Currently, I have Skyrim, CT Vegas 2, GTA 4, Aliens VS Predator, and Cuphead running flawlessly in Linux. I also edit video (KdenLive) and record music (Bitwig) in Linux. With that said, the only game I can’t get to run in Wine or PlayOnLinux is Viscera Cleanup Detail. Damn UnReal engine. Rock an Open Source operating system. You will be quite surprised :smiley:

To be honest I’m running World of warcraft with wine (gallium-nine-gaming from AUR) and its 100% same performance (if not better cuz on windows it stutters sometimes tho *probably telemetry ) and tested 3.3.5a, 5.4.8 and legion it works flawlessly on d3x9.

Or you could stop being so paranoid and play all the latest AAA on Win 10 Pro just fine.

Jesus…

2 Likes

Windows will always suck nuts. Their update system is shit and NTFS is so outdated.

2 Likes

And support for any other fs than fat32/ntfs is not present, i cant even have games on same partition if i wanted to dual boot …lame…

1 Like

I’m running Windows games under EXT4. Whats your point?

Never mind. Got it :smiley: Re-read. Boom!!!

First I have heard of this. I will have to check it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

TL;DR Its windows 7 with DX12 and the windows 10 look. Has all of the bullshit people want removed like telementry, cortona, windows store, metro apps, etc. IIRC it doesnt even come with edge just standard IE

hardest part is getting a copy of it because its limited to Volume Licensing companies like dell, hp, lenovo, etc

2 Likes

Isn’t LTSB a subset of Win10 Enterprise? No way I can get my hands on that. And how sure is everyone that the telemetry is actually deactivated?

It needs a enterprise volume license. I stuck it in a VM and will need to wireshark it but it is cut down so far and interesting. Color on gnome snapshots are red shifted. Not sure why.

Worth more checking.

Now depending on telemetry I could deal with this.

1 Like

I’m sure it is at least to the same level of earlier versions of Windows. There was a massive backlash and companies were not upgrading machines to Windows 10 because of this and the enterprise is a big market for Microsoft and they don’t want to lose it. Personally I’ve also done packet capture with wireshark and have my router to log traffic to Microsoft servers and the volume of packets on my LTSB install compared to core windows 10 machines on my network is almost none existent and what is there is mostly Windows update.

Although the irony here is Limbo is available native on Linux :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

And its is quick to download :slight_smile:

Im Australian…getting LTSB took half a day. I only buy linux games as well, now.

6 Likes

8 Likes

The only reason why they contributed to open source is because they want their own tools to succeed, manly the Azure platform. You need to unplug that Matrix cable and come to realization that large corporations are NOT your friends. If it’s beneficial for them they will throw you under the bus without any hesitation.

I think the easiest way to do this is to install linux on your PC and play your fav games on PS4 or Xbone. I know you said that you don’t like the controllers but you will get used to it. Just don’t play FPS games on consoles. However for fighting games , racing games, and side scrollers, it is more comfortable to use a controller.

1 Like

There’s no way to know exactly what microsoft has access to.
And I refuse to give a thief a key to my home.

Microsoft has afforded me the opportunity to learn Linux and I don’t regret that one bit. So I do thank them for that.

2 Likes