Gaming Table server? SR-IOV?

Cheapest functional, stable option would be the one they choose I am sure. Small shop, but trying to provide space for local gamers. The option for ones who can come in and those unable to come in, is why the digital even came up.

I just wanted to try to learn SR-IOV and this sounded like a great goal to try and reach. :slight_smile:

In Unraid with an Intel IGPU its as easy like

Enabling sriov in the bios
Install an Plugin
Get an config cronjob

Thats it.

Create a VM assign an Virtual GPU and install what you Need.

I would give all VMs all the cores and divide the RAM equal on them.

Use one 1 or 2 TB nvme for the VMs

There are a few hypervisors that can do the same for free BUT Unraid does it very easy and the Community Forum is super.

You can find my solution there to.

The Unraid Basic Package is more than enough for what you want.

There is another Option but it is not Diskussed in the Unraid forum and with that you could Go with proxmox

There is an semi legit way to Split any gpu before the 3000 Nvidia Series

eg 2000series 1000series. 900 Series

Its called vgpu unlock

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your knowledge :slight_smile:

What if someone with a Nivida 3000 or 40000 wants to use a virtual GPU unlock? What is he to do?
Why can’t Nividia 3000 and 4000 graphic cards be split?

Nvidia did patch this workaround. They want you to buy the Quadro counterparts and want you to Subscribe to the „nvidia Grid“ Programme .

So are you speaking of using thin clients to connect to VMs? I do think Keyboard Mouse and Monitor for each player and Keyboard, Mouse and Muli Monitor (4) for the GM are a must.

Does it have to be done on a single GPU?
Buy cheap used cards and do something similar to 4 Gamers, 1 CPU.
Each player will have their own gpu, and the whole thing will be based on one cpu and virtualization.

1 Like

of course you could buy a few cheap GPUS

but its the Mainboard PCIe slots and Lanes that make the trouble.
I would say 3 Player one GM so 4 VMs each has its on GPU… that means the GPUs must be single slots and low power and use very few PCIE Lanes.

or go BIG AMD Epyc, BIG Board many PCIE Lanes, BIG Money, BIG powerdraw, BIG Case :smiley:

or Buy one GPU like maybe one with much VRAM do the VGPU hack and use cheaper thin clients with IGPUs as Parsec devices :smiley:

both ways are viable
For the Pen and Paper Adventures, i would Go the parsec Route all day

No Problems with Video Output
No Problems with USB
Technicly cheap

From the base Variant

13th gen and IGPU sriov
to
13th gen and IGPU and 2000series VGPU Hack

Very small Investment :slight_smile:

Good parsec Clients are N4000 Based devices.

1080p60hz or rudimentary 4K60hz

There are Mini PCs and Mini Laptops out there for around 40-80€ a pop

i want a Main PC/server with all the VMs those VM’s have Parsec installed.
Parsec is an in House streaming Applikation. It captures the frames encodes them and send the “Video” “USB” stream to an thin client, that client decodes the streams and manages the inputs.
The Thinclient is an fully working Windows or Linux maschine with Parsec installed.

pls connect the whole clients over LAN and a switch.

on the Thin client is connected a Monitor a Keyboard and a sound device.

So yes we are talking every Player has its own Monitor its own Keyboard its own Sound
the GM can have depends on the Thinclients display output options more than one Display :smiley:

a good option for player clients re older All in one PC a few of them have touch displays, you need a good 1080P/60hz encode/decode capability on those maschines.

1 Like

slick. I have a ton to read. Thank you kindly for your knowledge and time

13500k or better
Unraid
Parsec
32GB Ram min
M.2 NVME SSD

Can KVM extenders be used in this case instead of thin clients?

1 Like

No, you COULD technicly use any android Smartphone with a set of USB-C to HDMI to RJ54 to USB times 2 Dock.

Parsec can be installed on android e.g Tablets but a x86 Client with Ports would be better

A KVM is an Switch on Steroids between a few PCs that Share one Display.

1 Like

Darn, I was hoping each could be linked to just 1 VM.

Thin clients with modern connections are expensive. Might as well use a mini PC with all the goods.

We used to have a D&D group at work, and used a Microsoft Surface as a gaming table. Pretty cool way to put up maps, but that was also about as much use as we ever got out of it.

Things like character sheets are just more practical to have in paper, and for looking things up all you really need is a single laptop for the whole group. A digital gaming table with individual screens may sound awesome, but in practice I think everyone involved will prefer pen and paper. And while the Surface worked great as a map display, what would have worked equally well is a standard whiteboard with a grid drawn on in permanent marker. Roll20 and the like are a good tool to coordinate groups playing online, but if you’re playing in person these things just get in the way.

1 Like

Nice. The Owners desired use is hybrid, so players who can come in to the shop can play with those who cannot. We are currently using individual chromebooks for roll20 character sheets. It is different, but nice for recording hp levels and spells, which is nice not having to erase etc.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

i see whats in your Mind. You would need in that case for every player atleast one GPU each AND for every Player atleast one USB controller passed trough to each VM.

with my Approach You need just one good 2000 series GPU or equal Tesla or Quadro from that gen, vgpu unlock it with proxmos, make your vms pass to them a portion of that GPU. No extra USB controllers needed. <------ its Final Form just for testing use the Intel IGPU <---- it should performe fine i assume

in its basic form get those 50€/mini pcs or get a few older All in One PCs with touch Displays OR cheaper Aliexpress Tableds :smiley:
they need encode and decode funktions and HDMI and USB

1 Like

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/vfio-2023-radeon-7000-edition-wip/

1 Like

yeah those are great videos. The near future looks good.

I just got a m2000 for my testing machine I am building to learn