Gaming Router

I am getting a new gaming laptop. What is a good “Gaming Router”? Right now I use TP-Link AC1900.

Anything that transports packets from your “gaming” machine to the the server where it’s supposed to go.

Spoiler

There is no such thing as a “gaming” router.

4 Likes

Most gaming routers on the market are just normal routers with predefined QoS rules that prioritizes gaming traffic but really for home networking it isn’t much of an issue and you’d probably have a much better experience just disabling QoS altogether.

I’d say just stick with your current router. it is more than capable of doing the job well already.

And if you really need that, you can configure it on most routers anyway.

1 Like

I have a Linksys “gaming router” sitting in a drawer waiting for OpenWRT treatment.
Only reason I bought it is because it was on sale at a stupid price.
It is basically a very solid unit with cut down features and a gamery software skin.

A router is a router is a router. If it works, it should not get in the way in the first place.

1 Like

I’m too afraid to look up if this is real.

2 Likes

Okay, that saved me a crap load of money.

Gaming should not be included in the description for a router. That usually involves a mark-up by manufacturers as a form of marketing a router that prioritizes traffic. All that is, is a software solution and a badge. You can get a good router based on signal range and features like 2.5Ghz/5Ghz and what 802. blah it enables.

1 Like

Was going to say the same thing, by some marketing standards my little ole’ asus rt-ac68u could be marketed as one as it has QoS and easy port forwarding (some well known games pre-loaded)- it also supports 802-11ac and 802-11n and beam forming to boot. Not marketed as a gamer router though (cause no RGB?). BTW OP love this router, highly recommended. IMO the next step up is to flirt with enterprise stuff- I switched mine over to AP mode and got a pfSense router (also highly recommended).