Gaming Performance Increase in Win10 (Fall Update ver. 16299)

So Joker did a video claiming performance increases with the new Fall Creators Update with “game mode.”

Now, I was curious if anyone else here on the forum has updated and noticed better performance. I haven’t done any major testing, but I ran Cinebench and Shadow of Mordor before updating, so I’ll post below if I notice any significant increase after I’m done updating.

Post your system specs, performance before and after the update, and be sure that “game mode” is on.

Thoughts? Anyone have the new update yet?

2 Likes

Update: It seems it had no effect on the 2 things that I tested. However, my testing method is seriously flawed and lacks sample size and variety.

Also, I wonder if the performance gains are specific to Vega. Joker didn’t specify if he properly tested his other systems. I believe he only did the one with the Vega 56 card in it.

2 Likes

fury-x (no-oc)
amd 1700x (stock)

shadow of mordor (1080p all on ultra except textures on high, disabled depth of field, and blur)

pre update
min. 30FPS
avg. 50FPS
max 144FPS

after update game mode
min. 30FPS
avg. 44FPS
max 133FPS

only losses, by default i optimize my system; and update likely replaced many things… Nothing great, small loss vs proper system config.

1 Like

Skyrim 32 bit ran like complete garbage after I updated to Windows 10. But with this new update my problems are fixed. I will try other games as the time goes on.

2 Likes

Update from Gamers Nexus:

Tried it on my wife’s PC last night.

5930K @4.6 and a 1080, @1440p

TF2 got a pretty big performance bump with much more stable FPS.

RoTR got no change on AVG but minimums were slightly better.

Witcher 3 saw a slight 3 FPS AVG increase as did DOOM (Vulkan)

I noticed it made no difference between game mode on or off but FCU was better generally than the older Widows version

He did in the YouTube comments and on Reddit. He said that his 1060 and 1080 systems exhibited similar performance uplifts.

1 Like

I see Skyrim 32bit and TF2 mentioned here and should add some info.

Apparently there was a DX9 bug with everything after win7. 8.1 and 10 would limit them to 4gb total VRAM if your card had more, or 4gb total combined Vram and system if you card has less than 4gb.

This latest update is supposed to have fixed this DX9 specific bug, which apparently caused all hell with skyrim and fallout modders due to the limitations. So most new games on this point alone should not really see much difference but DX9 games that hit ram hard should see a nice bump.

1 Like

Gamers Nexus did a video too.

tldr; no improvements on gaming.

I think @behindthetimesgamer beat you to posting that in this thread by 3hrs.

1 Like

Interesting to point out though that wouldn’t explain TF2. Even at 4K it doesn’t use 2GB of VRAM

2 Likes

I think it might only offer more Windows performance. Maybe it gets Windows out of the way a bit better as well.
I did get my best UserBenchmark score today after I pushed the update through.

Beyond solving the performance problem that affected some systems with the previous release, I’m sure there won’t be any tangible overall improvements.

Maybe Game Mode can now help more systems than before, but that’s still only about reserving resources better for a running game when there are other processes already in the background that would otherwise steal performance. In other words on systems that are messed up, like how many a Joe Homeuser rolls.

Until Microsoft decides to create a purely gaming version of Windows 10, you’re most likely not going to see any noteworthy performance increase. The reported increases in performance seem to be nothing more than Microsoft finally fixing what was broken after the first CU.