Gaming PC build (changing title, suggestion related)

So what's up guys? I have returned from a long abscence. Well here we go.

My build so far:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9MBLsJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9MBLsJ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($124.74 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.49 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($309.80 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($179.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.88 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro Wired Gaming Keyboard ($147.26 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Wired Laser Mouse ($87.81 @ Amazon)
Total: $1717.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-26 20:34 EDT-0400

I'm open to all suggestion.

1 Like

Apart from the FX-9000 series not being worth it, Zen is on the horrizon. I suggest waiting.

Wait for Zen.

/threadpostponed

3 Likes

For love of God please don't buy a 9590

It's a dead platform, like...super dead

You will be out of date before you build

shitty for 1700 broo ill build u a good one quick haha dont buy a 970

this.

The 9590 was a dumb chip when it was released and its even more antiquated now. If you have to buy today, Skylake is the only option in this price point that's worth a damn. If you can wait, and are prepared to wait till early 2017, Zen will bring some competition from the AMD camp hopefully. Don't depend on it being as cheap as every fanboy and there mother will tell you it will be though, there are no guarantees...

Just grab an i7 6700 with an RX 480 and you're set

also a 3TB barracuda drive will probably die very quickly

you're also spending far too much on fans, your keyboard, and your mouse, and power supply

Just sub in an after market 480 or 470

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/4Mkx6X
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/4Mkx6X/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($295.52 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($67.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Mushkin ECO3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.94 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $905.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-26 22:36 EDT-0400

Overall nice build but the FX9590 still makes me cry ;_;

In my honnest opinnion as i own a FX8350 for more then 3 years now.
I would say its not realy worth it to invest money in this old AM3+ platform anymore tbh.
If you build a new system with a budget like that, i would suggest to go Skylake or wait for Zen.
The FX cpu´s are realy starting to show their age in terms of gaming performance.

1 Like

Yes you are correct right now it isnt worth it cos we are very close to AM4 now and new generation amd cpus. Although as someone who has recently upgraded an AMD rig, if your budget is really small but you want something fairly reasonable and have some AMD parts to reuse perhaps then it can work out... but if your building new then go Intel or wait til Zen comes out from AMD with AM4+ support.

1 Like

@Bigdrix Hey buddy can you wait till near late Quater of 2016 / early 2017 because if you haven't heard, AMD Zen is coming out and it would be very stupid to just by out now and be done with your $1700 USD build and looking for quality of performance.
Just wait I know its hard but wait till Zen comes and see what the reviews are for it. then Revise your $1700 USD build for the New AM4 chipsets.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KBrMbj

or a zen build when it comes...if u want cheaper i got u tooooo

@Bigdrix

I would suggest to go with a i5-6600K + a decent Z170 board of your liking.
And for the ram grab 2x8GB G.skill trident Z´s DDR4.
As far as the gpu is concerned, i would say either go with a RX480 or a GTX1060.
This combined will give you a better gaming experiance overall.

1 Like

Intel core i5-6600K with a 1070 might be much better spend of your budget than an AMD spec. But if you really must go all team red, then what I would suggest is build something a little cheaper with an FX 8xxx series cpu, but get a single RX480 gpu, then later on when zen comes simply replace mobo, cpu and memory and xfire the RX480 if you wish or just keep it as it is...

From a budget perspective here if you for example decided to go with a slightly cheaper upgrade option for an AMD rig then your spend wouldnt be any more than 400 to 500 bucks, you would save a solid 1000 now and hold that money for later on when Zen is finally out...

I did a little tweak to Op´s build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/HyVFgL

I changed the Samsung pro ssd for an EVO.
Both are pretty sollid, and i dont think that the pro is realy worth the extra premium price for your needs.

For the rest i went with a i5-6600K + Asus maximus viii hero board.
The Hero board is very decent board which will also be good for overclocking.
But there are cheaper options availeble aswell.

Psu, i changed the psu for a EVGA 650W GS gold psu.
This will be more then enough for a single gpu setup.

The cooler, i kept the cooler of your liking.
But eventualy you could go with a cheaper aircooler solution aswell.
Something like Cryorig R1 Ultimate or similar.

GPU: i went with the Asus GTX1060 Strix.

let me know your thoughts and opinnions.

Then it won't be an AMD build anymore :<

mine is the best..

however, cheap new i5.. like a 6400 or 6600k if youre feeling it paired with a cheap cooler (hyper 212 evo)
16gb ddr4
a 550-650w decent modular psu
and a decent Z170 mobo, round the $100 range
THEN topped off with a 1060/480. or even 1070

that's what i'd do right now, and fuck expensive peripherals.... an ergonomic enough good enough keyboard will be fine paired with a nice lazer mouse on a desk sized mousepad. no matter what keyboard i had i always rubbed my wrists on my desk. big desk sized mousepad made that go than any keyboard did. if you arent a complete elitest thats more than enough to game. fuck amd right now.. coming from a long time amd guy. theyre dead atm

But he doesn't have all AMD parts in his original spec I mean he has listed an Evga 970 gpu... so it is not an AMD build purely as it is. If it was he would be looking towards a rx480 with a fx cpu and amd mobo.

If you have the "wanna build a pc now" bug I totally get that.
However 6 months from now 1400 to 1500 will get you much better.

One option is take 200 to 250 and just do a fun cheap build that you can overclock the piss out of. Don't worry about smoking the MB, Zen will be here soon. That's why I am having fun overclocking my 8320e/ 970m pro 3 combo! I have absolutely no idea what I am doing but I am having fun doing it......and the combo was like 125 @ microcenter.

There is also the APU's and Pentium G's (haswell or skylake). Apu's can be overclocked both front and back (iGPU and CPU)

When you build your dream rig (Zen or Kaby lake) you will find a use for the cheapo build. Maybe try one of the hundred types of Linux or other OS or an HTPC.

If you must go with the 95xx seies I would go with the 9590........30 years from now it will be a collectors item. There will never ever be a 220 watt cpu, heck the UN may outlaw anything above 100 watts someday. It will kinda be like the Pontiac Superbird of the PC world....IMHO.