Gaming pc 2020 (1000$)

Hey lvl1tech comm

My gaming pc is starting to break down :sadface: after 7 years of honorable service its time for a replacement.

Can you guys help out?

Sweets and love

satnam

If I were to buy a GaMinG PC now (I wouldn’t):

Ryzen 5 1600AF/2600 or Ryzen 3 3300X
B450 board from MSI (Tomahawk or Mortar)
16GB of 3200MHz RAM
GTX 1660 Super
500GB SSD + 1TB spinning rust
550-650W power supply from Seasonic or other reputable brand
Phanteks P400A Digital case - comes with fans, is cheap-ish and won best case of the year from GN

You should IMO wait for benchmarks of Intel’s Z490 platform and decide then. Or even wait for Ryzen 4000.

At least give yourself time until the B550 boards come out! - and maybe buy on of those.
Some may argue, that B450 is a dead-end, but with B450 you would still be able to upgrade to a 3950X when Ryzen 3000 chips become cheaper second hand.

If you already have a case and whatnot, then you can upgrade the CPU to Ryzen 5 3600 or better the GPU to an RTX 2070 Super :upside_down_face:

1 Like

:ok_hand:

The budget needs to be included everything?
peripherals, monitor and windows etc.

Or is there still stuff you can use from your old system.
Also which games you want to play and at what kind of settings,
are you generally aiming at, like resolution and such.

The information you provided till now is very minimal.
And there for it’s generally a bit more difficult to really,
make some decent recommendations that would fit your needs and budget.

1 Like

this

1 Like

The stuff i can use from my old system
-case
-psu
-monitor
-hdd

Combat flight sims mostly at high settings

My apologies for the minimal information i’m not realy at home in the tech world

:pray:

Maybe name the most demanding game and the specs can be checked to better suggest hardware.

OTOH - I would suggest the 3700x as a CPU, it tends to clock higher in games for pushing frames.

GPU will depend on both your budget and the specs you need/want for the software you ware using. Likely a 2060/2070 Super will more than meet your needs.

3200 Mhz RAM is generally the sweet spot, but depending on where you live higher speed RAM can be expensive.

With AMD you might want to consider a 500 series mobo; B550 or X570 so you can have some ‘future proofing’ for next gen cpus, but that’s up to budget and preference.

This is just an example of what you money will be able to do.

I left out the graphics card. You have to determine how much power you want based on the resolution of your monitor and the games you play.

You can increase the NVME drive to 1 TB if you have the money and desire to do so. The same with the RAM - 16GB to 32GB.

A new case might be a good idea if your current one is not that good. You will want good airflow and most basic cases from good manufacturers (Fractal, Phanteks, Corsair, NZXT, Coolermaster, etc…) will give you that for under $100.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($172.39 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $477.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-17 11:33 EDT-0400

The Ryzen 3300X is coming soon, that is $130 (4 cores/8 threads). As a comparison, the Ryzen 5 3600 is 6 cores/12 threads.

The 4000 series Ryzen is on the horizon but I don’t know when exactly. I would not wait if you need a PC now.

digital combat simulator

Thanks for that.

I had to do a bit of sleuthing, but I found the specs you want to look for:

Recommended system requirements (HIGH graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen;

Ok, so here they are suggesting a 4 core, 4 Thread CPU. This is no longer the min recommended approach. If you want to go min spec on this then go for a 3100 or 3300x, and you can OC that pupper until you need/want a beefier CPU.

RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD);

Seeing as you’ve stated a desire to run high LOD/REz mission, go for the 32GB of RAM, the speed is up to your budget; focus on lower Cas Latency if you cannot afford higher speeds.

Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better;

This is where your budget will be eaten. There is only 1 series of GPU that has more than 8 GB of VRAM, in the Nvidia line up, that is the 1080ti, or the 2080ti. The 1080ti is used, and still commands a healthy price and the 2080ti is, well, not cheap. If you’re to stick to a 1070, or equivalent performance. I will stick with the 2060/2070 super recommendation. YMMV, it’s all about how much performance you want and how much you’re willing to spend.

I removed the part about needing a joystick and internet connection, I will assume you have these already :wink:

Keep asking questions, this is how we all learn.

1 Like

:ok_hand: :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.