Community Thread -- Gaming on Linux Video with LTT

This is not the first video in a series of 4. The first video, not out yet, is gaming natively. This video is literally an overview of those 4 options. But Linus isn’t going to have those 4 videos on his channel because his audience doesn’t care.

Again, this video is show, don’t tell. They know their audience well. It works well for their audience in all the ways that matter.

If you’d like to do a write-up with videos or screenshots of exactly what you have in mind for structuring the presentation here, the level1 community will more than welcome that I’m sure.

4 Likes

I would imagine Chrome OS will make Linix more desktop worthy.

There are some talks about GeForce Now coming to Chrome OS.

I’m not looking for a 'beginner Linux" series, it just didn’t seem that the video portrayed the message you want to present. Certainly did not get the “here is an overview of Gaming on Linux” when the majority of the time was spent installing packages and running DXVK.

Would you experienced Linux users recommend and Intel or AMD CPU for a gaming/streaming secondary PC?

As far as CPU goes both are fine. You can’t go wrong with any Intel or Ryzen CPU.

2 Likes

Depends if I’m allowed to use PxE and AD. :wink:

1 Like

I will tell you right now, they repack “grandma friendly” Linux live CDs all the time. You have reason to be weary. Awesome Hardware gets these shady live CDs on a daily basis.

Just download an official ISO or spin. You’re way safer that way.

I am ok with dealing with the bugs and hiccups. What I want to know is if I can play games using Wine + DXVK on my laptop. I do not have a LTT laptop with bleeding edge specs. Mine is a i5 - 7200U with 8gb DDR4 and 940Mx and I play @ 1366x768 resolution. Will the overhead be enough to cause games to lag? Keep in mind I do not need LTT fps. I am ok with getting 35fps in games as long as I can run it at high graphics with shadows turned off.

We’re talking about different levels of ready.

Yes, Windows 10 is not as good as Windows 7, but it’s still easier than Linux.

When you say clean install, do you mean, that you got the ISO from Microsoft instead of using the recovery partition ?

In my experience (Lenovo T460P, i5 & 940 Mx) you are going to have a much worse time than windows. Assuming you run directly on the GPU without Optimus it might be ok, but with bumblebee performance will be abysmal.

@wendell

If you get a chance and watch the video of Linux bang his head against the wall doing hot-plug / hot-removal of PCIe…

Willing to give it a try to see if that is a work around for the vega uefi bug?

I was planning on using the intel iGPU for linux and passing the 940mx through for gaming. So what you are saying is I should wait for bumblebee to get better? Can’t I just use intel gpu for regular day to day linux and passthrough 940mx when gaming?

@nx2l can you please elaborate on the vega uefi bug ? i’m unfamiliar with it.
@Dragyon not accurate:
BumbleBee is the combination of intel and nvidia graphics.
The nvidia is connected to the igpu, everything interfaces with the igpu.

Forgot its other name.

There was something mentioned here on the forum.
Nvidia-xrun as a fix / Solution for some perf-problems on bumblebee.

Have you watched the livestream?

2 Likes

if you meant me, nope. gona give it a look now : )

1 Like

That laugh brings joy to my soul every time. Regardless of my day, my mood, my week… @wendell has swagger and charm :grin:

1 Like

@GrayBoltWolf

The video was perfect for this situation.

The ethos of the video was to show what linux gaming really looks like and this it is viable for stuff in 2018 (not just old stuff).

If you want to grow the audience then you need to show them how viable the platform is and what success looks like instead of a 50 point “how to” video1 that most people will just skip because of overload.

The companion article, which goes into detail, is for the people who became curious about the show and tell video.

I myself got started in the tech scene 5 years ago because I found an LTT video, and then found TekSyndicate, and look where I am now.

A lot of the time the word just needs to get out to people that something other than Windows and OSX exists.

1. The detailed how-tos are definitely needed, but not right off the bat. Get them interested and then have the material available separately.

Can you use looking glass with integrated graphics on the host machine?
MY Mobo is too small to fit another GPU. It’s pretty dicey, even with a PCIe riser.

does optimization guides and relative benchmarking, expect vs. native in the future. We just need to gear up for standardized testing on baremetal