Gaming on linux help (Ubuntu 18.04)

so i have been trying to get games to work on ubuntu 18.04 and im having no luck im manly trying to get blizzard games ie wow hearthstone and overwatch any tips?

use lutris or playonlinux.

Tip is: if you’re not using a prefix manager like PoL or Lutris, always look at the AppDB on WineHQ. In fact, even if you’re using a prefix manager, still look at AppDB. They aren’t perfect.

Most of the time you find solutions for most of your problems either in the test results, or in the comments, or in the How To section, or all of them.
It’s pretty much what PoL and Lutris are based on too. But they are not always 100% up to date, because the world isn’t perfect.

You have an i9 and two titan xp’s, you could Look into a windows VM aswell.

I just in the last couple days got Win 10 with a spare 290x running. Now I can play wow without having to dual boot. Just another option you can look into.

duplicate cards complicate things

AHH. Well that sorts out the “Should I get a second vega” Thought I had.

It’s not like it’s impossible…

It’s just easier with 2 different vendors because you can blacklist the whole driver. With 2 different identical (or same vendor) cards you just need to keep it from binding to one of the cards while still loading and binding to the other card.

It’s not that it isn’t possible, just a few more steps.

1 Like

you should go with the opposite vendor from the card you already have for the best experience

the ideal VFIO system is intel hedt/server, plus one amd card and one nvidia

1 Like

so the question is should i do a windows vm or just dual boot windows? as i would still like to play games like Warhammer: Vermintide 2 and fortnight.

both work, just depends on your priorities.

i reallt dont want to dual boot but i dont want to but another gpu as well as the whole systen i on a custom heardline loop and i really dont want to redo the loop

maybe use something like refind to make dual boot less painless.

if you already have 2 of the same gpu, you can still do passthrough, it just takes a few extra steps.

im assuming i would lose sli right?

it’s not like sli works in linux anyway, and if you’ve got 1080Tis you’re well past the point of diminishing returns.

do u have a guide i could follow to set up a passthrough?

better yet, we’ve got a wiki:

1 Like

if i went the refind route would i have to reinstall ubuntu?

not as far as I know

do u have a guide for that as well?

just check the refind website