Gaming Laptop Dilemma (India)

It depends on what you can find, and it'll probably bump the price up considerably, but if you can find a laptop with a 1050 and a Thunderbolt port that isn't fussy about what it's connected to, that would be imo a really good situation. 1050 is a good GPU for gaming at 1080p if you turn some settings down, and if you're at home you can plug it into something more powerful.

I'm sorry, The amazon link is vague to me, So I went to the MFG page to check them out myself. They are both GTX1050 cards. The MSI card has a 2GB Vram and the Asus has 4GB of Vram. The difference here aside from the VRAM is that the MSI laptop has an NVMe drive , One strange things is that Asus does not recognize this laptop as a ROG on their main page... But the Amazon link does. . . :thinking:

yeah i noticed that. It wasn't on the Asus india site but it's on the asus US site. Strange!

and the MSI laptop i was talking about is this .

It has 4GB of VRAM.
btw i hear MSI service is bad in india. I might end up purchasing the ROG.

Should I be considering any other laptops in the same price range? There's a cheaper dell inspiron but i've never been fan of inspirons. Also I have seen Lenovo laptops.

After a lot of consideration and inputs from friends and people on the internet, I've decided to go to the 1050 but now I'm trying to figure out which laptop i should be buying. I'm going to spend a lot of money on this and I want it to be a good investment. I want it to last for atleast 5 years. It should be in working condition even if not gameable. Also I can't spend more than this. it's almost twice of what i spent for my last laptop.

I'd go with this. It's pretty low key which I like, i don't like the "gamer laptop" aesthetic.

if you'd like to read up on 1060 vs 960, here's one link

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3165vs3639

do note that in terms of pricem there isn't much of a difference in case you're spending more than the equivalent of USD 600-700. my personal preference would be 1060. another thing, since you've explicitly mentioned gaming, 8gb of ram feels almost measly and you'll soon find the need to upgrade it so better plan in advance. and yes, i was thinking msi GS63VR, but it's around USD 1600 so though it's gonna be a decent bet, it's gonna be an expensive one. gl62, like you mentioned is another good bet but it's got low ram. what games do you plan on playing btw?

If anyone is about to buy a gaming laptop today, don't waste your moneys on laptops with Nvidia M cards, 10 series is the way to go.
Performance-wise pascal really was a huge leap forward for which I tilt my fedora to nvidia.
Just hope AMD would also offer something cool in the near future.

acer isnt viable option here, poor build quality and low performance. i have see n a lot of my friends struggle even though the specs were decent.

1 Like

thanks i'll take a look

considering getting a GTX 1050 or 1050Ti. I'm also planning to upgrade to 16GB ram .

Also an ASUS Dealer had got in touch with me this morning since i put in a request on the asus site.
He offered me the laptops at a much lower rate than the prices online .

He recommended this model as an SSD cannot be added to the GL553VD since it voids the warranty.

This comes with a 4GB 1050Ti GPU and a 128GB SSD.
He's also offering it at about $1500 which is $300 less than the online price since he's a dealer.
the only thing am concerned about is if its a legit deal.

PS : the prices and models available in other countries cant be compared as many of them are not available in india. Also we have high import taxes which drives up the price of products manufactured outside the country.

1050ti, good screen, great battery, great cooling... And it's a very lowkey laptop you can buy it in black as well.

When taking about laptops, we first look at its specifications. People never consider user experience which is possibly the most important factor for any mobile device.

Guys, thank you all for your help. I got a new Laptop. I was gifted this laptop by my gf. Asus ROG GL553VE 168T

Thread closed for necro