Gaming at 8200 DPI

So, I have a Razer Deathadder 3.5G and it has served me well over the last 18 months but alas it has seen the end of its lifespan. Buttons are beginning to fail and I have decided to get a new mouse. After going through countless reviews of multiple mice, I have decided to purchase the Mionix Naos 8200. What my question is is that does anyone even game at 8200 DPI? My Deathadder would hit a max of 3500 DPI and that is what I played at. In some situations I have felt that that level of DPI was not high enough (especially in FPS games) and I could have survived with a higher DPI solution. When I get my Naos I will initially set it to 3500 DPI and increase the DPI level by 100-200 DPI everyday to get used to it until I reach 8200. Is that overkill? I'd love to hear some opinions on this. Note: when I game I take the game i'm playing very seriously and love every edge I can get.

8200 is definitely overkill even from a competitive standpoint. Why exactly do you think 3500 CPI wasn't enough for you? You basically want a mouse that can be as accurate as a single pixel on your screen (since you won't be more accurate than that for sure) For 1080p that is <2000 CPI.

Having more CPI does not make the mouse more accurate (as long as it isn't ridiculously low), it simply is a form of sensitivity. Actually, most competitive players play on 400 or 800 CPI, that should show you that it isn't really important to get good at a game.

Also from your comment saying that 3500 wasn't enough for you I guess you play at a pretty high sensitivity? Even though that is preference and depends on the game you should probably try to play at a much lower sens. This will allow for more precise aiming in FPS. You should also have a consistent sensitivity accross all games that you play, and not change it once you are comfortable.

I hope this will help you, don't buy overpriced "gaming" branded crap that has features that make no sense.

Ever since I switched my 8200DPI laser mouse for the optical Deathadder 2013, I'm not going back.  Laser just doesn't make sense, it's too twitchy.  If you need a high DPI, the Deathadder 2013 basically has you covered or one of the optical mice over at Zowie.  Laser is a no go for me.

higher dpi does not equal higher accuracy! Almost every professional shooter player uses BELOW 1,000 dpi. The only reason manufactuers are making these mice above 4000 dpi is because consumers think higher dpi means more accurate, so for marketing purposes they make their dpi higher. Higher dpi means higher jitter. To make mice playable at higher dpi they reduce jitter by more heavily processing the data the mouse sends, which is fine except it creates lag. The old high end mice that had a max dpi of 1800dpi are more responsive then the high end mice that had a max of 3500dpi, and the high end mice nowadays that have 6400+dpi are less responsive then the 3500 dpi. 

in a shooter, there are sponsored players that think you are gimping yourself in a shooter if you use anything above 900 dpi.

here is the settings of some competitive Quake players, none use above 800dpi! http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=1907380

If you are serious about getting a great mouse for shooters, modern laser mice have acceleration and high lift off distances and should be avoided. There are basically 3 paths to go. 

1. You can get a modern fps focused optical mouse that while it has lag from inflated DPI, its good in every other respect. Mice that fit this category would be the SteelSeries Rival, Razer Deathadder2013, and Logitech g400s. 

2. You can get Zowie brand mice, which is the only modern brand of mice i know of that makes high tier mice that don't inflate dpi. All their mice other than low end mico has a max dpi of 2300dpi. They have tons of good stats. Their main downside is little to no customization. There is no software. You customization amounts to you being able to change between 3 dpi steps, although only 1, the 2300 dpi step is native, and you should probably use it. You can also set frequency from 3 steps, but unless you use a very low sensitivity, you're probably best at the default 1,000hz.

3. You can buy an old mouse that is no longer in production, such as MS WMO 1.1a or MS IME 3.0. The main downside of these being probably only 400dpi being possible and a low perfect control speed (if you move your mouse quickly, going to see tracking errors)

Finally, get a mouspad that is a solid color. Optical mice can perform differently depending on the color of the surface it is tracking on, multi colored surfaces means characteristics could change in a single swipe. 

I use 900 dpi and the dpi really only affects your desktop experience and cursor speed in most games you set an in game sensitivity and that is what really counts.  In CSGO I use an in game of 3.05 which at 900 dpi equals 6in of mouse movement per 360 but at the default of 6 450dpi is the same 6in 360.  So what you should do is adjust the dpi to fit the cursor speed you like then adjust/calculate your in game sensitivity to what you like.

To be honest the reason why a mouse can do 8200DPI is because it is a byproduct of the laser in the mouse, it is unusable at that speed. They reason why companies put this on the box is so that they can lure you in with marketing babble. Their is no reason that there is 8200DPI other than: that is just what the technology is capable of, the tracking was improved and as a byproduct the max DPI went up as well.

Atatax, Good info. Thanks.

I recently got a Logitech G600. It is 8200dpi but I use it at around 3k to 3.2k. I can't aim worth a spam with it but that mofo does have 20 buttons !

I turn down the mouse speed in game and also have a side button to reduce dpi to around 1200 for increased accuracy when I need it.