Games that you play a lot that other people don't even know the existence of?

Factorio
Besiege
Stardew Valley
Empyrion
Lovely Planet

They're obscure indie games, so no-one has heard of them outside the PCMR

3 Likes

Fallout tactics

2 Likes

Syndicate FPS was indeed ok just terrible because it was in the syndicate world and not a strategy game. Should play it again. Think i got it for Xbox360 not sure cant find it.

nope..got it for PC.

1 Like

Agreed, would like to see another crack at it. Add that switching mechanic a console battlefield game had (think it was battlefield, where you can look at a AI player on your team and quick swap to him) Add more some more strategy elements to it like kit loadout, multiple missions, some sort of character specific leveling system.... also add more of the overwhelming indictment fire power the old game had.

I've heard of Factorio and Lovely Planet. How are those games and what is the draw to them?

Also, I wouldn't really call Stardew Valley obscure when many people tout it as "Harvest Moon but better". No doubt it applies to a niche group of people but everyone was talking about it when it came out in the first few weeks.

I don't think there is any other game that has competed Syndicate in terms of how much bloom they used in that game.

2 Likes

Factorio:
Looks like ass, but is addicting as all hell - Two hours later, you won't be able to stop. At first glance the sorts of systems people build look terrifying and absurdly complicated, and they are, but once you get to an intermediate stage in the game, you're going to zoom out accidentally one time and recoil in shock at what an amazing monstrosity you have created, how it all works like a well-oiled machine (because it is.) and most of all at how well you understand it. Because you built it yourself. Makes a good timekiller for airport layovers because it can run on a potato and time will fly by while you play.

Lovely Planet - by far the most Japanese FPS you will ever play. Basically you speedrun a course with no mistakes as fast as you can.

2 Likes

Escape Velocity

This game was originally released as Mac only. It was created by Ambrosia Software, who mainly make/made(?) random software and games for Mac OS platforms. Not sure if they are still very active or around at all.

A few things to note:
- When I was growing up, the family computer (yep back when there was only one computer in a household) was a Mac
- There were hardly any games available for Mac
- Companies used to make demo CDs with hundreds of game demos on them

One day I randomly found a '300+ Mac Games' demo CD in a bargain bin at the local CompUSA (back when those existed). Once I waded through the mostly crap games, I was instantly hooked by Escape Velocity. I purchased the full game from Ambrosia and went on to play the 2 other games in this series (EV: Override and EV: Nova). Once I beat the game a few times, I found out there were community-created mods and I got pretty deep into that rabbit hole.

TL;DR this game is a predecessor to awesome space sim/exploration games like Freelancer, EVE, etc.

Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

I poured many many hours into this game, including mucking around with a bunch of the community-created mods. A Sierra classic, this game was created by some of the folks from Interplay Entertainment, who worked on the original Fallout. It's an Isometric, open-world, skill-based, complex steampunk fantasy game that was very unpopular compared to some of its spiritual predecessors.

3 Likes

Age of Mythology
Kung Fu Chaos
Spy vs Spy
(Pretty much every game from my childhood)

Although I just got all my friends into Age of Mythology extended edition. Which is rad

1 Like

Insurgency. The perfect balance between Battlefield and Arma.

2 Likes

Age of Mythology is highly popular :p

1 Like

Not amongst anyone I knew
Everyone played AoE 1,2 & 3 but never played AoM
I played wayyy too much AoM and am still trash asf

1 Like

Descent Underground, a remake that does not destroy a great game. Bethsada could learn allot from them.
IS Defense: The SJW's hate it so I gave it a try, thanks SJW's! If your busy this is the only game you can kill over 500 Isis members and blow up 50 vehicles in 15 mins before work
Space Invaders: Perfect when the lounge goes kinda dead. Free from MS though there are better DOS versions. Fav was a 5K version that was so well written it would fly on an 8088.

1 Like

I like Tradewars

really get that cyberpunk vibe, less graphically in tradewars to be sure lol, I got in syndicate

also Chaos Overlords is a great game still to play

looks awesome

For Mac OS X, Intel nativeFor Mac OS 9 & earlierFor Microsoft Windows
$30

nvm.....not for 30... not right now anyway

1 Like

Wow damn still 30 bucks huh? Is that for Nova or the original Escape Velocity game? Nova (the 3rd one) was the only version that made it to Windows iirc.

1 Like

ya nova is 30, the OG EV is 20.....

They really price their games high on Their site

Haha yeah I think $30 was original price many years ago. I don't think they really update things much :)

1 Like

STAR WARS Galactic Battlegrounds, So many hours and Mouse were burn with that game.

2 Likes

Days of War (alpha)

Day of Infamy

Unreal Tournament (alpha)

1 Like