Gamers Nexus calls BS on Intels 5GHz 28 core CPU

1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane is also illegal in the EU.

do you see r134a on that list?

R410a is legal in the EU and what do you know it’s an option for the HC-1000b

Maybe intel should just add a disclaimer to their clock speeds, something like “clockspeeds only attainable if cooling solutions suggested are actually legal in your jurisprudence”?

1 Like

Well, be honest now. The demo was held in a place where R22 is legal. R134a has about what, 60% of the cooling capacity of R22? What do you think they used considering that? How well would this system perform with R134a if they did in fact use R22?

… Or by how much would you have to scale up the whole thing to not end up with a literal meltdown?

That could be a benefit, actually, might be able to power the system with nuclear fusion if you reach high enough temperatures!

why do you keep talking about 134a? I provided the chillers’ manual and a screenshot of the optional refrigerants but you refuse to face reality. fun fact 410a is more efficient than 22.

1 Like

Hey, you’re right, I misread. The refrigerant used in this sub-ambient one horsepower cooling solution that’s still totally not exotic for some reason might have been a non-ozon-depleting substance.

ok, so it’s not false advertising and it’s not illegal in any country. so far its just a really dumb cpu.

No, in fact, it’s still just false advertising, because literally nobody will ever be able to run this CPU at 5GHz in a real life situation, which is what intel basically claimed.

1 Like

they ran a 28 core chip at 5ghz and said Soon™, we have yet to reach false advertising.

They said they’d release this 28 core cpu which would run at 5GHz. And they won’t be able to.

you projecting your own expectations does not constitute false advertising. what ever you infer from the demo is your own problem not Intel’s. its still a stupid chip with ugly insulation on the tubing which is the real tragedy here.

1 Like

Context matters. Except in UK courts but that is a different topic.

Intel basically admitted that they lied, by the way. They just called it “unfortunately omitting the fact that it was (severely) overclocked with a sub-ambient cooling solution”.

2 Likes

… that was hidden away. Accidentally.

No, those aren’t my own expectations, that’s what they said in their presentation.

This article sums it up pretty accurately, including an official statement by intel: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-28-core-cpu-5ghz,37244.html

I mean, come on:
“What’s amazing is that trade-off, this actually being a 5GHz in single-threaded performance frequency and not…having to sacrifice that for this kind of multi-threaded performance, so you’ve got kind of the best of both worlds. So, you guys want to see us productize that thing? Tell you what, we’ll bring that product to market in Q4 this year, and you’ll be able to get it.”

How are they not saying that people can buy a 28 core 5GHz cpu in Q4 there?

1 Like

Awesome, where did they guarantee this will be achievable with air cooling?

Let me be clear, this chip is very dumb.