Game drive Passthrough?

Hello everyone, Long time watcher first time poster.

I’m preparing to switch to an Arch based distro running xfce. I like keeping my game installs on a separate disk for ease of use and clean system. I’ve learned that linux is capable of reading and writing to NTFS partitioned drives, even auto mounting through the FSTAB. So my question is: If I can mount my NTFS games drive in linux with read/write options… how would i pass it through to say Lutris or steam?

Welcome aboard!

In Steam you just need to add another library folder that links to the mount of the NTFS drive. Works the same with running your library over network, I have my Games on my NAS mounted with NFS via fstab. Really easy. You just have to make sure your user has execution rights on that mount as Steam is very fuzzy on this subject.

Steam → Settings → Downloads

Thank you for the Reply Exard!
Not using a Nas with NFS partions, but an actual windows NTFS partioned drive.

Lucky enough my distro of choice after first boot came pre-configured to read NTFS (windows) drives. Have steam running and tried to run Doom Eternal and Fallout 4. Files were Discovered but don’t launch. Using Force compatibility for Ge-Proton7-17. trying experimental now.

Check Proton DB whether the Games are working with Proton. But if no game even launches, my bet is that you need execution rights on the mount. I had this problem myself.

1 Like

How do I set execution rights on the mount? as I though I had it… I could create and delete files no problem.

Post your fstab line with your NTFS drive. You may need to add masking options.

Still trying to get things Setup. reinstalled as dual boot till I’m more confident. Here is the contents of the fstab:

/etc/fstab: static file system information.

Use ‘blkid’ to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may

be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if

disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).

UUID=9499-7B9D /boot/efi vfat defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=b68d0e7c-179e-4437-9dde-2ddb40815939 / ext4 defaults,noatime,discard 0 1
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

=========
Not sure how to read all of it.

Yeah, there is nothing there for your NTFS drive.
You would need to manually mount it to get things going.

Like it mentions, use blkid to find the UUID of your NTFS partition then add this

UUID=<NTFS_partition> /mnt/Steam ntfs defaults,noatime,nofail 0 0

If it is an SSD then add the discard line to the options.

Then as root or use sudo mkdir -p /mnt/Steam && chown -R $USER /mnt/Steam
then again as root or sudo mount -av

You should see it pop up when doing df -h
If So, point your steam library to that location.