Galaxy S8 - Extra screen/frame protection?

Looks like i may be getting a Galaxy S8. I can replace the HTC Sensation i’ve been using for the past 6 years finally. And it’ll be free with my contract.

I did some research on the phone. Apparently it’s fragile as hell. I have some scratches on my Sensation that i only got the last couple of years. How? I’m not sure. I never dropped it. And from my understanding, Gorilla Glass only gets scratched by rocks/sand. Perhaps something like a knife? Or dropping it on asphalt.

I’ve never had a phone as high end like this before. And want to know what the best possible protection i can get for it is. I don’t want it to feel extra bulky. And i want to make sure the screen never gets scratched. I have a very crappy TPU case on my Sensation. I never knew until recently, but the plastic back plate looks like it started a chemical reaction with the TPU case. It now has dark purple lines all over it. I want to make sure this phone looks as new as the day i got it even years later. I’m very good at taking care of all of my electronics. But this ninja wear/tear got me by surprise on my old phone. I know about Phantom Glass and saw that Linus uses it? So it must be good.

What are my options?

Both can get airborne, settle on tables or countertops to rub against your phones screen when you commit the blasphemy of putting your phone down screen first.

As there is a wide variety of cases and flip-cases on the market, I would sugget you browse Newegg, Amazon or pay your local store a visit. Taking a look in person is the best option in my opinion.

Screen protectors come in several varieties:

1. Glass
  2. “Dry application” plastic foil
  3. “Wet application” plastic foil
  4. Plastic pane
  5. Integrated into the case

Glass and wet-application foil have the best durability and are easy to apply without any bubbles.
Plastic protectors are like their glass counterparts, just made from plastic.
I would avoid dry-application plastic foil. They either come off easly or form bubbles beneath them.

Personal preference: Wet-application foil, comes with a cleaning spray so you don´t have dirt between screen and screen protector. As an added benefit they are not likely to trap air beneath them.

Hmm. So if i choose glass i’m basically putting glass on glass? Since from what i’ve read, the S8 is completely covered in glass.

For some reason, the back on my S8 scratches a lot easier than the screen for some reason, so I’d definitely get a case, not a single scratch on the screen on mine, a more than several on the back

I use a wet application matte screen protector film from Skinomi, it’s actually pretty great, you can reapply it if you mess up (I put it back in the box after a month of using it, and reapplied it yesterday)

Matte means my finger isn’t sliding around on glass, and I don’t have to look at my awful reflection

curved tempered glass screen protectors that actually stick to the whole surface are difficult to find, I’d had a “tempered glass” protector for the S8 that only stuck around the edges

And yes, the S8 is glass front and back, apart from the sides, top and bottom

Another thing, it’s really difficult to find a screen protector and case that play nice with each other because of the curved edges, so try to look for “case friendly” screen protectors if you can

Really? The back? Sheesh. That was the least thing i was expecting… How do you end up scratching the back?

I’ve been debating between a skin and a case for my s8… I don’t have my phone out in a position where it can be dropped 99% of the time and a skin would protect the back from scratches and give a little better grip. The case would do that and protect a drop. You could go with something like @Umbra_Aur_Nova has.

used it without a case a few times

maybe I’ve just been unlucky, but yes, have more than a few scratches there

I have one of these, there are many alternatives like it. It’s kept my screen scratch free, there are heavy duty styled ones with that same book flip cover.

1 Like

Well i’m about to order my new phones soon. And part of my problem is that i don’t want to a case that detracts from the design of the phone.

BUT. I never thought i’d find a wallet style case so appealing. WOW! This thing is impressive. And I love how easy it is to remove the phone from it. I’m impressed.

1 Like