GA-78LMT-USB3 for OC'ing?

Not sure where to put this, so please excuse me if this is the wrong sub-forum.

My friend wants to build a gaming rig using the FX-8320.  The problem is that he wants to use the Corsair 350D w/ window.  I told him that there aren't any mATX 970, 990, or 990FX motherboards available, but he's still insisting on it.

He's convinced that the 760G Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 will be enough to run the 8320 with an overclock.  I did a bit of research, and I stumbled on this.

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

Under the AM3+ Motherboard Phasing list for Gigabyte, you'll see that GA-78LMT-USB3 (r4.1) is approved for OC'ing.

That said, is it possible to OC the 8320 on the GA-78LMT-USB3?

You gotta understand that that table was made during the Phenom II years so the 760g wont be able to handle 8 core OC. I wont even OC my 6300 on a 970 for long periods of time let alone a 7 series board

Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for someone who's actually attempted to OC on a 760G mobo.

few people are stupid enough to even attempt to put an octa-core on an old am3 board oc or not, i wouldn't be hopeful to find someone with firsthand experience

And even when it was brand spanking new, the 760g was not meant for OC

The board is made for a 125w chip, and the 8320 is 125w.

Assuming the BIOS is updated since it's from a newer batch of these mobos, the GA-78LMT-USB3, in theory, should be able to handle an 8320 with a slight overclock, under water or a similar air cooling solution.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.  :) 

OK the FX-6300 is rated at 125w at 4.1 ghz (that's its boost clock) at 1.37 volts. The 8320 is already at 125w at 3.5ghz base clock. That means that the board is already at it's limit at the 8320's base clock. What happens if it turbos or you OC it? Well you'll find out tomorrow :)

sorry to dig up an old post but it's not a terrible board for overclocking if you can cool the VRM's well enough, i got 4.7GHz out of mine on a H105 it just took a bit of placing fans well to cool the VRM's (one behindthe board blowing over the socket and back of the VRM's for example) but it is doable: http://valid.x86.fr/r2p6ju

rock solid stable on the rev 5 board.