FX isn't dead!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2150775/amd-announces-skybridge-chips-to-bring-together-x86-and-arm.html

Can I get a SkyBridge to cross the SkyLake?

Well rumours om reddit say AMD will bring a new uArch with SMT implemented.

That would require a much wider execution cluster than they currently have.

I think that is an APU, from what I understand I think we will get a replacement for the current FX parts when we see new Opteron parts as they share same architecture. AMD probably needs to get the power usage down (as well as IPC up), this is really important in the server and mobile world where big money is. I dont think they will develop a new opteron part till 20nm(which should help boost transistor count/shrink die size and improve power efficency), Late 2015/early 2016 at the latest.

Fx 8350:

Operon 6300:

since the phenom II had 6 cores, I hope they will be 6c/12threads....

From the op en the other thread 

"We are expecting a couple speed grades in the current FX package this year. There is nothing revolutionary in the short term. The money you save on the FX CPU, reinvested into the new GPUs, should keep your performance up there.  We’ve had a new GPU virtually every calendar year." 

I was going to get a 8320 next week to upgrade from a 6100... shall I wait, do we have any information about this?... dont know what to do now....

I'm pretty sure (Dont qoute me on this), it will first be out in 2015-2016.

They really need to work on performance per watt and IPC. Hope they can deliver. 

It's one of those things we'll just have to wait and see.

I don"t want this new FX it be some over 200w monster. 

I still have an FX-6300 running my file server, running strong and true

And I can't help but picture that seen from Quest for the holy grail on this thread.. 
"I'm not dead, I feel happy" 

Don't think you'll have to worry about that. AMD has been striving for and succeeding at improving performance per watt. 

lol thats a terrible comparison. its more like the 350 where the intel is the ls1 if you ask me. I can still play every game out maxed just fine. have not had an issue at 1440p.

I never lost faith in amd when I bought my first pc, nor now when I am building a pc with an fx 6300 and r9 270x. Amd beats nvidia. It's just intel that they have to square. If They just reduce the power usage and increase the single core performance, thats more than enough to wipe the floor with intel, considering their price.

If I place an FX chip in a box is it alive or dead?

you wont know untill you look inside the box

It won't I'll see if I can find the article, but the max tdp of the consumer parts at least will top out at 95watts. I wonder what that means for performance if they are made on that power efficient of a node and still use a reasonable amount of power.

Wonder what the socket will be, would love an upgrade to the FX-8320 I'm running (might be on its way out), but would rather not get a new mobo.