FX 8350 temps

The problem you're running into is your fans. The stock fans that come with the H80i are rated much higher for static pressure than the sp120 quiet editions. You're not getting the most out of your cooler because the fans aren't pushing enough air through the radiator in comparison to the stock fans that come with it.

You can get away with running sp120 quiet editions on custom built water loops because there is usually a lot more surface area to dissipate the heat, not to mention each individual part is custom built to give you the best temperatures, and you're going to have a lot more water in a custom water loop.

In this case, you have a very compact closed loop system with less surface area and less water. That means your fans are going to have to be quite a bit beefier in order to dissipate the heat more quickly. I would really suggest either putting the stock fans back on or getting some SP120 Performance Edition fans.

Also, what case do you have because I'm having a hard time picturing the fan setup you described.

Also if you are seeing core temps that High, something is seriously seriously wrong, either your cooler is not actually working, or  you are looking at the wrongs temps.

I hate to say this but.Try this.Backup your important files.If you are using Steam There is a backup function for your games.Under the Steam button when you open steam.Backup your games on a second harddrive an not the one your going to do this on.Go to AMD an download the 11.9 Driver an save that on the second drive.Now here are your options.

(option1)(Recommended):Format your drive completely.Then reinstall your Operating System.Then Catalyst Driver 11.9 and disable updates on the driver before going online.When online an you load up steam.Disable Steam updates so you do not automatically install a Graphics driver by accident.Or without consent.Then install your games from your backup.

(option2)This is a possible fix that you can try now.Go to (Power Options) an select your power option.Now Change PLan Settings\Change advanced Power Settings\Processor power management. Now make sure System cooling policy is Active.

This is because the AMD driver designers instead of actually checking the driver functions have been just turning off your P.C.Health Hardware functions because they are using water cooling an do not notice anyone using any other hardware other than there own experience over heating.This will show that it is turned off.It must be [Active].

Now Maximum processor state should be 50% to 75%.in Balanced mode.If you see it is set to 100%.That is a Gimic of there crew tricking there Supervisor into believing they are improving they are increasing performance so they do not get fired.The actual performance is 50% in Balanced.

At High performance it should be set to 100%.If you are using a stock cooler you will hear your fan from all the way in the other room.This is because the program function for balancing fan spins was disabled in the program.However the program is still in older version of the Catalyst driver in the 11.9 version.

NOTE:Once an up to date driver has been install the 11.9 driver cannot bypass any other functions that override the latest version.So once you update there is no way to completely remove the changes.Even rolling back to an eariler date.It in your system.You must Format again.

There are no other ways around this.This was reported to AMD for the past year an they have no responded or addressed this issue.

Note#2 The overheating problem is not just affected on the AM3+ But the AM3 models.This is a driver issue.Not hardware.Reports of people using Phenom II 6 and 4 core drivers have also experienced this.

Note#3 FX chips are not designed to generate heat due to the L1 an L2 Cache.The only way this can be the cause of an issue is through driver programing.The harder it is for L1 to enter L2 the more heat is generated.Too thin a L1 transfer the more heat.To large a L2 the longer the loading is causing stutters.An Harder force to extract the data causing even more heat.

A good balance between the two an you have a cooler extraction of data.FX chips are not designed to generate higher heat than 63cOver that limit is overheating.This does not account for fan speeds increasing to generate heat.

Warsun99 I'm sorry but i have niether the confidence or capability to do what you explained, you have to remember this is my first build! Thank you for the suggestion though!

Vortex 88. When i had the fans that came with the cooler when i started up it sounded like a jet taking off then settled down, that is one reason i changed them. Another reason is that many forums say that SP120's are better suited to this cooler than the stock fans. Im now very confused at which are the better fans. I will re-do the test with stock fans tomorrow.

The case i currently have is the Zalman Z11 (non-plus).

Hmm...Better check LinusTechTips under Fans.That should provide a bit more assistance than us.We can take a long time to respond.Better you get the info faster from a seach on his Youtube Site.

well okay, atleast it is not youre case that is the problem, buut it is the CPU cooler (H80i), well yes it is a very good cooler but! it wont just doo inaff cooling for the FX cpu´s, I had my self the Antec Kuhler H2O 920 (even with my current case that is Cooler Masters HAF X) and with it, in any game it reached around 50C degrees, with an FX 8120 at stock speed.

And now I have an FX 8350 with the Noctua NH-D14cooler, and clocked at 4,86GHz, it has a hard time even reaching over 45C degrees (in games) and in Idle about 34 degrees

so, what I would recomend is either, the Corsair H100/i or the NZXT Krake X60 (if it will fit in youre case). and the air coolers either the one that I have Noctua NH-D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E.

and besides these coolers wont have a sound like a jet. well atleast they that are air cooled.dont have so mutch experience with the water coolers, exept for the fat radiator ones, and they arent that good in my taste.

Yesterday I played simcity for about 4hrs straight and the highest reading I saw was 45C. Then today I was playing with my mates online for about 3hrs and the highest i saw was 40C (with fraps running as well). I may invest in a better liquid cooler when i finally order a new case (nzxt phantom 410) on payday! I still think with this cooler I may be able to reach 4.4Ghz as it is not much of a OC but enough for me.

I use core temp and it  says I idle at 17C max while playing games is 33C and Im using a old h60 with some awesome fans.I would love to hear how you fix this problem and what cooler you end up getting might do the same XD

The SP120 performance fans are great for closed loop coolers, but the quiet versions are not very good. The SP120 Performance Edition has a static pressure of 3.1 mm/H2O, while the Quiet Editions only have a static pressure of 1.29 mm/H2O. The stock fans that came with the H80i have a static pressure of 4 mm/H2O, which means they're going to perform the best, but they're also going to be a little louder than the SP120 Performance fans.

On a more robust custom liquid cooling loop with custom parts and much more cooling surface area, the Quiet Editions would perform fine. If the radiator on the H80i was thinner, then the Quiet Editions would probably work fine as well, but the H80i has a thicker radiator. This means you need to have more static pressure in order to push air all the way through the fin array.

For thicker radiators, you really want at least 3.0 mm/H2O.

I really wouldn't suggest using the Quiet Editions unless you're either using a thin "stealth" radiator or if you're using multiple radiators with tons of surface area.

If I was you, I'd first of all check if your block is mounted correctly. Redo the TIM and reseat the block, be sure to apply equal preassure when mounting [as shown in the manual].

Second, the Corsair SP fans are not that great in general, since due to the lack of a decent frame, they are leaking air and get less static pressure than they could by simply having a normal frame.

Noctua NF-F12 are great fans. Ugly as hell, but quiet and well performing [probably the best fans out there by far]

Another thing to check is if you have "OC Genie" or "Turbo" OC profiles enabled in you BIOS [Startpage usually] since they will slightly OC your CPU but keep the Voltage at "auto" which will make it go skyhigh.

If all of this does not help, RMA your H80, I had a similar problem with my H100 back in the days, it had this weird noise coming from it and my 2500k hit 98°C Oced in IBT. After I go the new one -> Temps maxed out around 60ish [in IBT which gets the CPU hotter than prime, although I cannot tell you if it works for AMD cpus, have not had the chance to try it yet.]

Be sure you have decent airflow, if I have not misunderstood you, you have more fans blowing out than blowing in, make sure you have atleast 1 more fan blowing in than out [count push / pull as 1.5ish].
This will result in positive airpressure, which results in more fresh air and less dust.

Unless your ambient temperature is around 10°C, your prog / tempsensors are broken ^^

Thanks everyone, tomorrow morning/tonight i will re-do thermal compound and use the stock fans. I will run stress tests again and get back to you guys. And edub430 yours is definietly broke haha.

Im not overclocked or anything and I dont think the program is broke HWmonitor says the same thing soooo not sure what to think

hahaha maybe it is but good luck all the same hope it works out for you

sorry to disappoint but i havent changed it out yet because im tired out from work, i will probably do it sunday (im in the uk so if you're american it may be a few hours earlier/later than you might expect. 

What the fuck do video drivers have to do with CPU temps? wtf?

Hey, sorry for the late reply its been busy at work...

I reapplied thermal paste and put the fans that came with the cooler and got a new case (NZXT Phantom 630).

My temps are now 31C idle and 48C at load.

Should be able to OC further now!

Thank you guys! 

Lol, I think it might be broken. I was getting those temps in the winter, and could only tolerate it because I was bundled up.To get those idle temps, the ambient tempature has to be almost unbearably cold.

Too long, didn't read. It's also irrelevant.

Back to OP, those temps are pretty much average. Especially on air cooling

I've got my 8350 at 4.6Ghz at 1.45V, on liquid cooling. (240mm rad, apogee GTZ, with my 5870 and chipset in the loop) and I see 62C at max load on the cores. (you're fine up to 62 as well) So all in all, please don't listen to this guy, you don't need to format anything, that's just how hot it runs 

Hello all. I know this is an old thread, but thought to post here instead of creating a new topic of the same subject. (Not sure what is the policy in these forums.) I have stock FX-8350 too, and when stressed with Prime95 about 10 minutes, it got quite hot. According to Open Hardware Monitor, CPU Socket temp was 63 °C and CPU Core temp was 46,3 °C. I gathered from this thread that this is too high, am I right?