FX 8320 or FX 6300

Since the prices of the 8320 and the 6300 are almost the same, which one should I get? I'm leaning towards the 8320 since it has 2 more "cores" over the 6300. I will be overclocking my CPU with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I'll just be gaming on my PC (DayZ, Arma 2, Arma 3, Battlefield 4, etc.) so which one will I benefit from?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, I dunno what sorta prices you're looking at, but with those games you will see a very significant increase in performance.

Arma seems to LOVE cores, it just eats em up. my i5 struggles with Dayz and Arma 2. Arma 3 not so much, but still, it's a CPU intensive game. EA entered a partnership with AMD, therefore EA agreed to optimize BF4 to use up to 8 cores, so BF4 will run better with the FX8320.

Basically, I would get the 8320 if you can fork out the extra cash. It'll overclock pretty good too.

The FX 6300 is $119 in the US right now and the FX 8320 is $129 right now. I think I'm going to get the 8320 since I've been doing some research today. 

I'd go for the 8320 as it's basically just an 8350 that's .5GHz slower, so you can just overclock to make up the difference.  The only con with going for the 8320 is that you must get a 990FX mobo, because if you use a 970FX mobo, it's very likely you'll run into power and heat issues since 970FX boards aren't very good at handling the heat that the 8-core CPUs dish out, and you won't be able to overclock at all.

Yep, I'm aware of that. I have the Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3 ATX motherboard on my parts list. Would you say 4.5GHz is a safe overclocking speed. Almost every 8320 I see is at that speed.

At $10 extra I'd snap that right up :p

Every CPU is different. Every motherboard is different. Every cooler is different. Even down to the individual unit.

Basically overclocking is highly subjective. Just experiment with things a bit and you'll soon find out what's safe and what's not. I'd say 4.5Ghz is attainable, but it's a little high for my tastes. When I say tastes I mean the amount of risk I'm willing to take.

I feel a bit silly, but I just made a friends build and put the FX-6300 (about 40-70 bucks cheaper than 8320 here in Canada). She was trying to go for budget as possible without making a 'junk' build. If you can get the 8320 for 20 bucks more and it doesn't kill the budget I say go for it. 

Yep. I'm thinking the same thing although I'm waiting for Cyber Monday (Dec. 2nd). Hopefully they'll be some great deals on hardware. also, you should check out Steam, they've got some great sales.