Fx 6300 and Asrock 970 extreme3

Hi.

Building my first pc, and am currently in the research/part picking stage.

Fx 6300 is compatible with the 970 extreme3, but does it need a BIOS flash to work? I heard it did because it didnt support  Vishera? Do i need another am3+ cpu (not vishera) to 'flash' the Bios? Will i be able to 'flash' the bios when i first start up my PC?

Thanks guys. All responses appreciated.

It depends. It might already come with an updated bios. Need to ask whoever you're buying it from. If not it won't work. But you can also go to the asrock website and download the BIOS to a USB drive and install it from BIOS if that makes sense. http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=970%20Extreme3&o=BIOS

vishera has been out for a while now, so if the motherboard you are buying was built after launch, it will have the updated BIOS. Unless wherever you plan to get the mobo from has had it on the shelf for over 6 months, which i consider unlikley. Bottom line it shouldnt be a problem, but if it is you can put in a support ticket with asrock and ship it to them so they can update it.

P.S if you dont have the updated BIOS the 6300 wont even post. The only way to update is to chuck in an older cpu that the BIOS can handle.

P.P.S Asus has a cool usb bios flashback feature that allows you to update a bios without a cpu or ram. that feature has saved my ass a couple of times in the past ;D

If you buy that mobo with a vishera cpu, make sure you buy the R2.0 version of the board.

the extreme3 has cool fuetures but its crap for OC .

if you wanne be safe  buy a Asus M5A97 R2.0 if you not plan to do any oc this board suports FX2.0 out of box, if you want to play with oc look if you can find the Asus M5A97 evo R2.0

so if you wanne buy the Asrock 970A extreme3 ask if its a R2.0 version.

same counts for the Gigabyte GA970A-UD3 if you wanne buy that one ask if its a R3.0 board.

The board you suggested is just as bad for overclocking, lmao.

But as she said in her second suggestion, the GA-970A-UD3 is the best 970 board on the market, simply because of the power phase (8+2)

ASRock 990FX Extreme9 12+2 phase 

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 8+2 phase 

No point cheaping out on a older 970 mobo with a amd piledriver FX chip 

Asrock 970 extreme3 R 2.0 4+1 power phase

Asus M5A97 R2.0 4+2 power phase

Asus M5A97 evo R2.0 6+2 power phase.

Gigabyte GA-970A-ud3 R3.0  8+2 power phase.

on the 970 chipset the Asus EVO and the  Gigabyte are the best for oc both are great.

but topic starter did not talk about oc, i only  mention to it...

990fx boards are also good option but they cost more.

the Asrock 990FX extreme9 is one of the nicest boards (if  the components they used are realy that good)  to get.

But if you on a tight budget a decent 970 board is realy a good choice,if you not gonne plan oc then the extreme 3 r2.0 or Asus M5A97 R2.0 are realy good choices.

if you want to play with oc then The Asus M5A97 evo 2.0 or the Gigabyte GA-970A-ud3 R3.0 are good choices.

The gigabyte is a much better choice than the asus either way.

Thats not allways true, there is also something about wich kind of quality parts they used, on theire boards.  GB is not the most trustfull brand on the market  ☺ but i not gonne  discuss about that,GB hadd some problems with theire bios especialy with theire 990FX ud5 board, and some boards had problems with overheating northbridge chip, especialy the 970A ud3 ☺ just readed out some dutch revieus, but that doesnt mean every  gb mobo hass those issues. ofc. but the bios issue on the ud5 are well known..butthose problems will be probably all fixed right now. the main reason why i prefer the asus evo above the  gigabyte is cause i know they are great at oc, logan did an oc on the 99FX pro 2.0 to 5 ghz, stable. the evo has the same power phase as the  99FX pro.. so i know fur sure its a good  thing