FuryBSD is all the rage!

At KnoxBUG this month I saw Joe Maloney introduce his latest project in collaboration with Jaron Parsons, http://www.furybsd.org/

FuryBSD is a FreeBSD-based live desktop image and installer with the goal of being a streamlined way to test and run FreeBSD as a desktop operating system. The “LiveCD” ISO can be written to a USB memory stick and contains a FreeBSD OS on a ramdisk that boots directly into SDDM and automatically logs into an XFCE session.

The installer will copy the running config from the ramdisk to your target disk leveraging the familiar bsdinstall framework. That means effortless root on ZFS with boot environments!

According to Maloney, FuryBSD is focused on achieving compatibility with desktop hardware through carefully-tuned out-of-the-box configuration of FreeBSD. In contrast to other projects that have sought to tweak the user interfaces of the FreeBSD system through boutique wrapper utilities, FuryBSD retains the rugged but familiar FreeBSD administration experience, without the initial desktop installation hassle.

The roadmap also boasts plans for easy Nvidia driver setup and a pkg repo with desktop-oriented ports configurations.

A video recording of the KnoxBUG presentation should become available in the near future. Until then, check out http://www.furybsd.org/ and give FuryBSD a try today!

6 Likes

Are live USB’s of BSD common?

I know people run systems off USB’s / SATA-Doms and stuff, but actual live environments?

I’m from the internet, and I can’t help but see this as “FurryBSD”.

Poor branding.

11 Likes

Same. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

It took me three reads to understand that it is “fury”

This is nice to see. It would be nice to have a PopOS/Ubuntu of the BSD realm.

3 Likes

This pleases me greatly. Giving it a go on the ThinkPad.

Network isn’t started out of the box. That’s the only detractor I can find thus far.

Password for liveuser and root is furybsd btw

1 Like

Update

Pretty painless experience (once you get the network figured out).

Typing is awful because the touchpad is very sensitive and has no scrolling capability. There is also no wifi. So it’s a pretty minimal experience but the whole process took less than 10 minutes!

Gonna figure out trackpad and wifi and see if it’s worth keeping it on the Thinkpad.

Oh and time is in UTC lol

4 Likes

FreeBSD has the bsdconfig command, especially helpful with wifi iirc. Joe used that to set up the network settings in his demo, I forget what he said about it though.

1 Like

There is mfsBSD and picoBSD type stuff out there already, but desktop live USBs of BSD are pretty rare.

1 Like

Same. Was expecting a Hannah Montana Linux equivalent.

Oh boy, a BSD toy!

Neat.

However i pine for the days where distros (linux included) would actually provide a hardware compatibility list.

The whole “buy hardware that supports linux” (or BSD in this case) argument is pretty damn irrelevant when there’s no way to determine this from the website.

That’s one of the reasons this is a cool project. You can just take a USB stick with the live system on it to the store and try it to see what works and what doesn’t.

Doesn’t address the problem when you’re building from parts or purchasing online. :smiley:

(haven’t bought a pre-built computer after using in store… ever).

Having issues personally with the way sudoers works. Password is correct but neither the live CD nor installed users are added to the sudoers file

When you create your user you have to assign it the additional group “wheel” that’s just how sudo works on FreeBSD.

Alright, I’ll do that during installation then and give it a shot

Man! I botched the network somehow :confused:

I had WiFi up and was able to connect but the webpage loses connection, pretty frequently. I can’t upload the screenshot.

Trackpad is better, but I can’t click and drag very well. I use the little nip on the ThinkPad.

Phone pic lol:

WLAN interface is up but dripping packets it seems :thinking: