FULL AMD build on Linux?

Im using AMD CPU/GPU so the nvidia driver isnt an issue :wink: tho i wanna use a couple distros see which one i like

If they have drivers up to date on their Repo, you should be fine then.

On a side note, dont try to put your online AAA games to run virtualized on a full virtual machine outside of what is acceptable on Proton. They ban people sometimes because it triggers anti-cheat for some reason.

I’d temper that with the fact that day 1 support can be spotty or non-existent. There’s a lot out there that does support linux day one, but if it doesn’t, you can be waiting a while (or hacking on it yourself for a while) for it to work either properly or at all.

But its definitely do-able. I’ve been playing borderlands 3 on linux for a few weeks for example, and that’s arguably a AAA recent game. Also playing a lot of Witcher 3, which once set up in proton properly actually seems to run better in Linux than natively in Windows on my hardware.

I haven’t run windows at home outside of lab VMs for SCCM testing for 18 months now. No pass-through, just proton or linux native titles.

1 Like

How does BL3 run? it doesnt run AMAZING on windows lol, but its a game I enjoy a ton and id like to play as many games on Linux as possible without having to boot into windows. Looking at the proton website all the games i plan on playing SHOULD run just fine which is pretty hype! I’ll have to boot into windows for new games/CoD: MW but its whatever tbh.

Distros mostly don’t matter a ton but really it comes down to the software you want to use in the distro. Distros come down to philosophy of some things and what software it comes with. There’s usually not a lot you can’t do in any of them but some of them make it harder to do things than others depending on what it is you want.

It’s important to manage your expectations I think. Not everything is going to ‘just work™’ and troubleshooting can be a confusing process if you’ve never done it before. If you stick with it then it can be rewarding.

For gaming support I would recommend you start with mint since you seemed interested in it and it’s a solid pick to game on.

I still think you should use your other machine with Linux first before committing your newest hardware to it fully. This will let you spend less time figuring the inner workings of Linux out and allot you to use it for what you want. Then once you feel comfortable you can migrate it to your current machine. You shouldn’t even need to reinstall either.

I was REALLY REALLY considering Elementary OS, been doing tons of research and it seems like its gotten pretty user friendly, esp with the uh… Flathub.org support. And watching some videos games and stuff seem to run just fine on it, im just worried about the GPU drivers… but i THINK the latest drivers for the 5700xt are included when installed which is hype.

I’m not sure how old the latest elementary is but right now a whateverbuntu would be my choice. 20.04 has just come out and it is LTS.

1 Like

Flathub is just a site containing flatpak which is installed on mint out of the box.

The drivers for the 5700xt are in the kernel however there’s more to that equation. I suppose it best to let you learn for yourself though.

Good luck!

@KastisDoesGames

If you’re set on using the 5700xt machine then this is the right answer. It has the newer kernel you will want for that card. You can install flatpak if you want that functionality.

1 Like

From what i researched the latest version of eOS has flatpak support base line. I don’t MIND doing some research and learning

Also i appreciate all the help from everybody, i dont mean to sound like im avoid all your help haha, just trying to get all the info i can before i build my PC monday

Two more options for total confusion: I’ve heard that Pop_OS is also very capable for gaming, it is a buntu and it should come out today with it’s 20.04 flavor.

As a rolling distro I want to mention Manjaro. Arch based but easy to get into, always up to date and games run great on it.

1 Like

So does mint, however with ubuntu this is simply added with sudo apt install flatpak

If you are using the 5700xt you want a newer kernel since this is where your ‘driver’ lives. That card is a new architecture and needs newer software to make it work to its fullest extent.

I would worry less about what a distro looks like and what software it comes with, and instead focus on hardware support. You can change the software, but not the hardware. Distros are more of a social construct that people place significance on. When you break a distro down its just a collection of software. That software is generally available everywhere. Flatpak is not exclusive to elementary for example, its available on every major distro I’m aware of. It may not come with that distro but you can always use the package manager to install it.

I’ve spent a fair few hours playing around with linux. Everything from gentoo and arch to ubuntu and fedora. Theres ups and downs to each but mostly it doesnt matter.

At the very least you might watch this video.

1 Like

I haven’t run it on windows. its mostly ok. some weird pauses when entering a new area and some weird stutters when textures are first loaded, but its playable. I finished it the other night, I had fun.

I could run it well enough in 4k with some settings tweaked on Vega 64.

Regardless of their rank they still run poorly. WoW is a joke to get running on Linux. Half the time native games don’t load and their resolution is capped at 1080p

eh? I’ve never had a game capped at 1080p on linux.

got any examples?

1 Like

Agreed, lutris makes that so easy and it runs fine. I hope for another update so the multicore enhancements work on it as well. I’m running BfA on my 2009 mac pro right now and it works very well on metal as well. As much I’ve given Blizz shit for their tech in the past, they are catching up finally. Can’t wait for Shadowlands! :slight_smile:

Other than that I’ve played Doom 2016 and No Man’s Sky on proton. I played Half-Life 2 and Portal natively. (Portal 2 just the other day on the mac. Outstanding game, even today!) I’ve played a few indie titles natively, all fine. I’ve tried to get into the Tomb Raider games from 2013 onwards but I don’t like those. …

I don’t know what you’re problem is or with what game but most games are just … fine. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

ARMA III

You literally need a Windows installation to get it to work. That’s not acceptable

No you don’t. I’ve played BfA since it came out. Never installed on Windows.

Where did you get the Cache folder?

The solution “Just download a random person’s files” is 1000% more unacceptable that requiring Windows.

If you gonna come back with “Works on my machine. Never happened to me.” Then just stop. This isn’t personal anecdote hour this is real life Linux gayming isn’t easy peasy as all the Linux people seem to claim.