FSF Vision survey Ends This Week

https://www.fsf.org/survey

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) wants to hear your opinion on them and their future direction, I think its a good survey to fill out if ou have 15 minutes, especially if your interested in open source or free software.

Its only up for one more week.

The FSF for those who don't know are the organisation that promote and support Free Software created by Richard Stallman who started all this glorious libre software we have.

(its weird this being in the open source category I feel like i've betrayed someone xD)

2 Likes

Is there any really good information on what the FSF actually is?

I see tons of articles about what they are involved in, but nothing about what they ACTUALLY do.

1 Like

You can tell Stallman had a lot of influence in writing this... Some of the phrasing of the questions...

1 Like

Yeah I noticed that too.

God he is fucking annoying.

1 Like

I actually really like him. :)
I dont agree with all his views, but hes fun to listen to.

1 Like

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is a non-profit organization founded by Richard Stallman on 4 October 1985 to support the free software movement, which promotes the universal freedom to study, distribute, create, and modify computer software...

Important contributions to the programming community and a huge learning environment supported by it.

1 Like

The FSF funds GNU projects and infrastructure, does campaign work and compliance work. They probably do more, but thats the main focus.

There are also regional FSF organisations, the FSFe for example does a lot of work trying to campaign for better freedoms in the EU in regards to software and digital stuff. Document freedom for example is one of FSFe's main goals. (Open Document Format) (on a side note there site is super nice)

The survey actually gives a good overview of the kind of things they do, hence why it exists as they want to know what area people think they should focus on and what people think of them.

Maybe to some, but he's almost always right. People don't need to follow his level of dedication in using Free Software to appreciate the progress thats been made because of his steady line in the sand on Free Software. One of the reasons hes never moved far from his stance is really because its stood the test of time, the reasons for free software's existence are sound.

1 Like

You should watch Revolution OS. A documentary of the whole FOSS movement