Friendly Emacs Thread

I have it on good authority that there are no macOS kernel developers all macOS kernel developers prefer Netbeans.

1 Like

I do like netbeans but I prefer emacs

1 Like

Lol in the link above, the picture on the desk with the red frame is of an elephant :grin:

Ah, memories. I used to do all my homework, Java, and PHP with Netbeans :grin:

Now I use, cough, uhm, JetBrains or Microsoft products.

I’ve been reading about Emacs better part of my free time today, and despite me trying to learn Vim atm the Emacs + evil mode looks nice. If I would start learning Emacs which version should I go for? I’m using Ubuntu at the moment. Should I just install the default Emacs from Ubuntu repo or something else?

I’m still not 100% convinced if either Vim or Emacs is for me, but I like the idea of using keyboard for everything while programming.

This is a good excuse to actually check out emacs, for now i will be testing spacemacs.
it might be a nice thing to use when i have a GUI to work with

GNU recommends using the repository package. On 18.04 that is emacs 25.2 on 16.04 that is emacs 24.5. The current version is 26.1 that was releases this summer. You can get it from http://reflection.oss.ou.edu/gnu/emacs/. It’s the typical configure, make, make install.

My workflow makes heavy use of rectangle-mark and 25.2 is the only version doesn’t seem to be broken. On 24.5 the width of the rectangle won’t extend past the length of the line that has the point. Rectangle-mark on 26.1 is totally broken:

26.1 "rectangle" mark

That’s not much of a rectangle. But that function may not be important to you, in which case, there are not many obvious differences.

1 Like

Started using Emacs around 2008, ended up using it since most the hardware I had until around 2013 was really slow using any IDE. Was on and off a lot since I could just use Geany for most things.

Probably about 90% of the time I’m in emacs I’m looking through documentation and playing with all the built in features. Spent most of a week trying to write as many different programs as I could just using hippie expand using buffers from other programs. Didn’t really learned much but it was entertaining enough that it kept me occupied for most of a week.

Used melpa for awhile but elpa has gotten really good at being up to date and after years of customizing emacs I’m all the way back down to just enabling global line mode and some other small tweaks.

As someone who was there for the “Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping!” memes about EMACS (when 8 meg was a LOT :D) this makes me lol.

edit:
broken link removed

Times change… 8 meg is a typical L2 CPU cache now.

A really good amount of learning how to use linux was not enough RAM and not liking how slow swap was. Lot of trial and error with IDE’s and ended up using emacs, had tried it but that didn’t go far at first, it probably would have helped if the scratch buffer had C-x C-c listed in it back then.

In 2013 I was using a Sempron 3100+ with 768MB of RAM. Built a FX-8320 system with 16GB RAM later that year and that was one hell of an upgrade. Now just got to wait for CES to decide what I’m building next.

1 Like

I was a vim user for a long time – since I started using linux, so about 8 years ago. I moved to emacs about 18 months ago. It was hard at first but I stuck with it. I’m still not quite as efficient as I am in vim, but I’m getting close. I don’t miss vim anymore.

I use straight.el for package management, lots of abo-abo’s packages for navigation and buffer management, notmuch for email, org for everything from document creation to personal organization, and m-x calc for quick base conversions.

Has anyone here gotten emacs + bitlbee to play nicely with rocketchat? I guess its more of a bitlbee question…

We use rocketchat at work, and I strongly lament having to switch out of my emacs session to look at it.