Fried motherboard in new build

Hey everyone, I have a major issue. A friend and I built a new pc last night and did all the steps and made sure everything was plugged in. when we hit the power button, nothing happened. So I made sure everything was plugged in right and set right, it finally came on, but nothing came up on the screen. The red CPU LED came on so we researched it and tried re-seating the CPU and changing out the RAM, video card and CPU and everything we can think of. Finally we switched power supplies and still nothing on the screen. then we turned in off, checked everything then tried turning it back on and this time nothing happened it all, the pc wouldn't turn on. so we checked everything again.....and again.....and again.....finally it turned on, but when it did, the motherboard started sparking and smoking. I'm just wondering, what in the crap could have cause all this?? I have another ASUS Sabertooth motherboard coming in today, please advise as to what I can do to ensure this doesn't happen with my new board. Thank you.

Main build:

GAMMA Classic Series ATX Mid Tower Interior Steel Chassis (Black)

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz

AVEXIR Core Series 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) Dual Channel 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified

HIS IceQ Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition H787Q2G2M Video Card

TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

LG 24X DVD Burner

Switched out parts:

AMD FX-8350 EIGHT-CORE 4GHZ 16MB 125W AM3+CPU

Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000)

HIS IceQ Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition H787Q2G2M Video Card (different one than above)

Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91 CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Double check to make sure all your stand-offs are in te correct place. Having a stand-off that is underneath the motherboard can cause problems like this to happen.

Good luck!

The stand-offs are in the right place, with none extra. We were wondering if it might have to do with the motherboard itself, maybe it is defective...?

discharge any and all static charge you may have by touching any thing metal that is grounded. work off of carpet to prevent static charge buildup and discharge while working. dont have power to the psu untill you are done building.

oh ok. yeah that could be a problem seeing as how we were working over carpet (duh moment). Thanks for the advice. i will definitely move off the carpet.

hope the new board works and your machine kicks sand in the face of your enemy's.

haha thanks. me too

Get some ESD wrist straps if you wanna be double safe. 

I would RMA it because it sounds defective, then the next time you try, make sure you aren't on carpet. It really shouldn't matter, but sometimes it does. Also make sure you check and that the eight pin you are plugging in for the motherboard power isn't the one for graphics cards. They should be keyed so that you can't plug them into the wrong socket, but the plastic these days is fairly soft, so it is entirely possible to force them.

Update: Got the new motherboard install and works like a charm. RMA-d the fried motherboard and should have it replaced in a week or so. Thank you all for you advice, it was extremely helpful. God bless!