Frequent freezes on Fedora 25

I noticed quite a few freezes from gnome-shell crashing which have been already reported as a bug.

I was just wondering if someone else on the forums here who is using Fedora 25 with Gnome 3 noticed that too.

I'm using the most current version of Fedora 25 and Gnome as per standard repos via dnf and it still happens from time to time when I use Alt+Tab to switch windows. Not using that shortcut really limits my productivity and I hope this gets resolved soon.

But it's not just this that causes Gnome to freeze:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1432699

What gpu are you using?

I am using a Nvidia GTX 770, but I have heard of someone on the bugtracker, who doesn't use the Nvidia graphics card but the integrated Intel Graphics.

I am having the same issue. Freezes a few times a week.

I use a GTX 760

It's not on all systems. I've actually never seen it on some systems, and I still have Fc25 w/Gnome Shell on most of those, but on other systems, I've switched to Fc25 w/Plasma 5 quite a while ago, when the fundamental problems with Gnome Shell began.
Use the config I posted before somewhere to get the option of starting with X.org back. Then you get the option under the cog at login like with Fc24 and earlier versions.
Since the coup d'état of RedHat in the open source projects it funds or cofunds, Fedora has become a more aggressive Gnome testing platform. Gnome is a RedHat exclusive project pretty much, and RedHat doesn't want its employees to work on open source community development on company time any more (that's why RedHat has usurped CentOS), so yeah... Fedora Core is really nice and well maintained, but you probably would want a derivative with more community dilution to get the best out of it, just like with Ubuntu pretty much.
Also Wayland does not work on nVidia, it can't.

I didn't change anything from the stock Fedora 25 config and I already have that cog.

But I don't really like to use X.org for a few reasons regarding security, performance, etc.

So are you saying Ubuntu is a better choice? Or CentOS?

You mean it doesn't work as good? Apart from the issues I mentioned, I can work with it perfectly.
Does it work better with Intel HD Graphics (the onboard chip)?

On Fc25 Gnome, the default is set to Wayland. It changes when you install proprietary drivers on a hybrid GPU driver system (KMS intel driver + proprietary driver). On the proprietary nVidia drivers, Wayland does not work, it's not a KMS driver. On the Intel iGPU, Wayland can work, providing you don't load the nVidia driver. If you use nVidia proprietary drivers, system security is a joke, so you shouldn't really bother, because SELinux is shot and you have pretty dodgy binary blobs in your kernel lol.

Ubuntu, like Fedora, has a pretty decent core. Ubuntu Core is not bad by any stretch of the imagination. But just like RedHat's "official" Fedora Workstation and Server distros, Ubuntu's official Ubuntu distro (so with Unity), is not the best implementation of Ubuntu Core. I personally prefer Fedora, I use Fedora KDE mainly, which is a community spin, the Fedora equivalent of Kubuntu on Ubuntu Core. The difference is that Fedora is all open source and free software, Ubuntu isn't, and thus the Fedora repos are pretty safe to use and high quality, also because of the RPM packaging format, which is more stringent in terms of quality assurance than the DEB packaging format. The Ubuntu repos are a mixed bag. The core packages are just fine and very well maintained, but Canonical also offers non-libre packages, which is one thing, but what's worse, it also allows third parties to directly pull into their repos, for instance, the packages for Chromium are maintained by a dude sitting at Canonical, but on Google's payroll, he works for Google, and is not interested in open source quality control nor open source safety and freedom, and Canonical does not check what he does. Chromium was actually, despite the fact that it's basically open source software that is enough unencumbered to be on the Fedora repos, removed Chromium from the Fedora repos, because Google just cuts too many corners, breaking the upstream (which is of course more challenging than with Ubuntu as Fedora is bleeding edge), repackaging old packages to make things work, etc... basically practices that don't belong in open source software development. For Canonical, this is not a problem, so that means it might be a problem for the users.

I use both Fedora Core and Ubuntu Core based distros, mostly community spins, mostly KDE based. I use Fedora KDE spin and KDE Neon LTS, which is a LTS version of Kubuntu with more modern packages, it basically IS Kubuntu, Neon is not an actual distro, it's more like a repo polishing service if anything.
There is a big difference in where I use different distros. I also use Arch and Gentoo and Debian and OpenSuSE and SLES, I even have a slackware box (and BSD boxes).
KDE Neon is pretty awesome for general use and Android type development stuff. Fedora is the best development distro out there bar none, it has the most tools available in latest versions, it has all the Eclipse and Atom plugins in latest versions, OpenSuSE/SLES is pretty amazing for system management, server applications, hybrid environments, data security, and virtualization using all kinds of different hypervizors.
There is no one distro "better" than another. Everything is choice. You just look for the compromise that fits your use case scenario, or you go to SuSEStudio and make the perfect unique cocktail for yourself.
It's also a practical thing. You can totally install a new distro without formatting your /home partition, so even your Firefox settings and bookmarks are saved, as well as your customizations etc, and installing a new distro takes like 4-5 minutes on a modern system, so if you reach a blockade, because something doesn't work like you want it to, you make the decision on whether to invest 20 minutes and solve it, which is also educational of course, or, if you don't have the time or just don't feel like it, you throw on another distro and continue where you where blocked in 4-5 minutes.

I didn't. I am using the drivers that ship with Fedora 25. Not just because of laziness since the Nvidia drivers are annoying to install, but also because I would like to have my system as "FOSS" as possible. ;-)

I tried Xubuntu before since I like the simplicity of Xfce, but I switched to Fedora for the more up-to-date packages and overall more polished "workstation" experience. Fedora does offer a Xfce spin but it's not as good as I hoped, so I switched to the standard Gnome spin which is close enough and integrates well enough into my workflow.

I used to like KDE many years ago when I experimented with SuSE Linux (before it was called openSuSE) but these days I don't like it that much and it reminds me too much of Windows. ;-)

Do you think these freezing issues would disappear, if I switch to the integrated Intel Graphics, even though I am not using the proprietary Nvidia driver? I am not really playing games on my system that require a dedicated GPU, so I wouldn't mind removing the GPU.

Did you do a new install when you switched to Gnome, or did you just install the Gnome metapackage?

Because it's not normal that the x.org option would be available by default on Fc25WS, but if you would still have XFCE or another DE or WM on your system besides Gnome Shell, it would be available by default.

OpenSuSE is to SuSE (aka SLES) what Fedora is to RHEL, although with OpenSuSE, there are actual guarantees of independency in the statutes, whereas Fedora is a RedHat run show.

KDE Plasma 5 is in no way comparable to KDE 3 or 4. KDE Plasma 5 is sensational in every definition of the term, it's actually lower on resources than XFCE, clocking in at about half of the minimal and less than a third of the typical (read, default setup of Fc25WS) Gnome Shell implementation. KDE Plasma 5 is also by far the most customisable DE, it can look like anything you want. Gnome Shell has some serious problems, basically problems that started to grow from version 16, and now with version 24 they've become worse, not better lol... Nautilus and the brutal cutting of functionality that happened and still is happening, it's still losing functionality, now with Wayland you can't do anything as root in a GUI File Manager any more, well, it's not like you really would need it, because you can get by with the terminal on a local machine, but you need it for FTP work on servers, and whereas Dolphin does that better than Filezilla, Nautilus doesn't do it at all in a remotely modern way, just like you can't get the terminal like in Dolphin, and just like it takes ages and massive configs and dicking around with fuse to get hybrid things working, Nautilus is a disgrace to be honest, completely unusable from a typical *nix user standpoint. The one main benefit of Gnome Shell is still Evolution for the workfloor, it's a nice easy to use PIM with all the integrations into hybrid systems... except that it's completely borked in the editing department, the writing lag is so enormous, it's unusable for serious business communications. Switching to X11 helps with some of these issues, but it's kinda dumb to have to do that, especially if you bog down your entire system for the security benefits with SELinux with is heavier and more cumbersome than AppArmor or Tomoyo, with all of the Wayland packages in place, and then still having to also install all of the X11 packages to do the same, but less secure and on a bogged down system. So Wayland is definitely the way to go, but Gnome Shell has to solve a lot of problems before people can really confidently roll out Gnome Shell in business environments, because it just doesn't work well enough, not by a long shot. KDE Plasma does things much better, yes you have the extra X11 overhead next to the Wayland packages, but KDE is so much lighter and faster being based on Qt5, that the net result is still extremely favorable in comparison to Gnome Shell, and everything just works, no functionality is lost, the switching to XWayland is solved well, it's usercentric, and well, Kontact/KMail does pretty well these days, much better than before, so you can confidently roll it out without fear of getting lynched by disgruntled users lol. I used to be the biggest Gnome Shell fan, it was Mac-like and thus very efficient for work,... it still is a very efficient interface for work, except that they took out or botched up so much functionality, that you can't work with it any more, so where's the point lol...

In all seriousness, I had this same or a very similiar issue, I was also using a 770, got fed up and bought a 480, problem solved. I'm very sure it had something to do with the drivers. I'm also on fedora, and regardless what DE I had installed (Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon, XFCE) it would always freeze, especially when I full screened a YouTube video on chrome/chromium. I had to constantly reset my computer every day, everything but the mouse froze, including my keyboard for some reason.

I completely reformatted the drive and installed from the standard Fedora 25 workstation DVD.

That's funny, because that's what happened to me. All I did was install the standard version of Fedora 25 (Gnome) and that was it. It picked Wayland by default, but it gives me Gnome classic and Gnome using X.org as an option via the cog at login.

On KDE: I will give it a try inside a VM and see if I like it. I am rather flexible and willing to make things work, but I don't want to have the trouble of making every little thing work every day. (Not saying that that's my impression of KDE, just a general opinion).

So you bought an AMD graphics card and that solved your issues?

Did you use the default open-source drivers or the proprietary ones from Nvidia?

I was only using the nouveau drivers because of the issues stated before in this thread with the proprietary ones. After I bought the 480 and used their open source drivers, I haven't had any problems. I'm currently using fedora + kde.

Did the issues stop when you switched to the nouveau drivers? Or did it stop when you got the new GPU?

I was using the nvidia open source nouveau drivers. It stopped when I got the new GPU (RX 480)

I had the same problem with Fedora 25. I'm running an intel gpu on a craptop. Originally I thought it was linked to this bug that I have been fighting for two years.

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051

However, I switched to Ubuntu Mate and I'm not having problems. I don't remember having problems on Fedora 24 either. You may want to try either Fedora 24 or a different desktop environment and see if that eliminates the issue. Neither choice is a solution, but you may find out what the problem is.