Freezing In Games when Assets Load

Hi, I have freezes in specific games. I just need some help on the fix. I suspect it is related to my storage.
It turns out when I loaded my game for the first time (I tested using path of exile) it would load for way too long, just to get into the game and sometimes it would show “not responding”, after that it will freeze each time something new is loaded, either an enemy or something similar.
The second time I would open the game it wouldn’t do that, instead it would load instantly wouldn’t freeze on the same places, then I cleared the standby ram memory and reopened the game, it lagged again.
So what I did next was I reinstalled my game to my SSD (which has limited space)
The game loaded instantly this time and didnt have any freezes/stutters while in game.
So now the concern is what caused the game to run poorly on my HDD, normally it shouldnt do that with that game, my previous build didnt have such issues with the same HDDs (I have 2 HDDs, one new and one older, same model).
What I have tired: Changed Sata port, chaned sata cable.
Changed HDDs as well, got a new one of the same model.
The problem doesnt change, I tried all sorts of things, driver updates, firmware and so on, Obviously windows 10 reinstallation 3 times and all that, defragmented, some games even do it on ssd but probably it is a network issue for them (servers too far maybe), it is hard to tell what the issue is but it is related to storage somehow (preloading assets causes small freezes but not constant freezes, games that have a lot of pop-ins will have constant stutters for the most part).
My HDD Model is: “BarraCuda Hard Drive 2 TB ST2000DM006”
Thanks in advance!

I couldnt find how to upload images so here are some stats and specs: https://imgur.com/a/xmHqm8O

I think I have noticed something similar on my Ryzen, playing Warframe. It is most noticeable when a new characters enters a game, i get a short pause while it loads new data. This is from an NVME so it isn’t a long pause / stutter, but still a second or so.
Have you done all the BIOS updates? The agesa or what ever they call it?
I do wonder if it is something to do with what core things are running on, some are closer to the RAM than others for example. But this isn’t a subject I know much about.

You could try and bring up windows resource monitor, maybe that might yield some info if you start monitoring a whole bunch of metrics about the system.

Honestly I did not see anything wrong with resource monitor, each resource does its own thing as it should.
The parts should be fine as well, in warframe I did not notice anything bad, actually it runs better than the rest, the same with overwatch.
I play many games with Smite being the worst in that regard with constant stuttering almost and warframe+overwatch being the best in performance as well as some single player games I have played such as ni no kuni II and others.

Generally the asset loading part is true though but it could be anything, I own a ryzen 2700X without any particular overclock and the ram should be fine as well, I tested 3 hours of memtest via a usb flash drive with no errors. Cinebench score is at at 1770 and temps under load are 60ish C or so.
That is actually weird and hope they fix it somehow if it is not just me, also I really would like to believe it is not just me because I dont want to be bothered with warranties, shipping and stuff like that.

Interesting - I, too, have Ryzen (2600) and noticed hangs with asset loading. I at first I thought it was a bug with Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, however, I also noticed this behavior in Killing Floor 2 as well. With AC:Odyssey it was almost unplayable with the freezing, but in KF2 was much less severe and I only noticed it at the end of a match. This is from a secondary 1TB SSD (Mushkin Reactor). I was thinking my SSD my be dying, but this thread leads me to believe otherwise, as SMART checks out.

What does the Task Manager say about disk activity? My issue is my SSD is pegged at 100% disk activity, but no data is being transferred (neither read nor write).

Also interestingly enough, moving AC:Odyssey to my primary drive (256GB Crucial MX100) and the issue went away. I’m wondering if it’s some sort of chipset bug, or maybe driver issue in Win10 - it seems to be isolated to secondary drives.

A lot of times freezes and shutter is caused by lack of video card memory. Maybe those games that freeze need more than the 4GB VRAM in your GTX 980? Just a theory. I am no expert and your mileage may vary.

I had that problem while trying to run Just Cause 3 on a 3.5GB GTX 970. Just Cause 3 has a bug where it wouldn’t free up video memory that wasn’t being used anymore. After a few minutes of playing it would start running awful. A GTX 1070 card with more memory was able to store all of the assets in the game or predict what it will need and load it before I needed it, so the transition appears seamless.

Of course an SSD will make any freezes happen much quicker than a HDD.

I have been gaming on Linux a lot the last 2 months. I too have noticed asset loads hitching games.

Now some I chalked down to being on a HD set formatted BTRFS raid 1. But I had a few games are on a samsung NVME as well.

I read articles like

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Endless-OS-Goes-BFQ

Im not in a position to test work loads like games and compare but only spitball.

1 Like

I noticed that gaming on Linux with a hard drive is total ass compared to Windows. Borderlands 2 for example on HD hitches like a motherfucker (when on HD) the first time ANY audio sample is loaded, on windows this is not an issue.

My solution was to stick it on SSD instead.

I’d wager that as time moves on, more and more games are optimised for SSD and hard drive loading performance is a “dont’ care” by the developer.

The above was on intel haswell. I haven’t noticed any hitching with my 2700x, but that box is all SSD (3.5 TB worth, woot).

So I figured out this is happening across multiple games stored on my games SSD (including HoTS). I think I may have found a solution - I haven’t tried it yet since I’m in class right now, but it looks like it might a bugged power saving feature and switching to high-performance power plan may resolve the issue. It looks like a WoW user was having the same issue on Ryzen 3 and states the following thread resolved their issue: