FreeNAS w/ECC

I'm looking to finally build my NAS.  After looking, researching, and going back and forth between parts I think I have something that I actually like with a price I can tolerate.  What do you guys think?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/BETAx64/saved/3zrs

• United States

• No preference of retailer

• Only peripherals I plan on purchasing are a USB drive and internal USB A header

• NAS backups, streaming media, BitTorrent, no VM's or admin tasks

• No overclocking

• No watercooling. Only stock cooler.

bump

Holy crap, hardware is much cheaper in the states! Unfortunatly I live in Ireland and prices are... shall we say - extortionate.

I'm looking to build the exact same system but with only 3 WD 3TB drives to start. Mainly because I already have 2 in my system.

I have my hands on some 16 GB ECC sticks. Unfortunatly the max of the motherboard is 16 GB and if I install one stick, i'm not going to benifit from dual channel. I wonder how dependant ZFS is on RAM speed...

I know this is off-topic, but I just had to laugh at this: http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/6017/SYS-6017R-73THDP_.cfm

I Would Personally go for a HP Proliant Microserver. It has 4 drive bays and already has a internal usb header. You might just need to swap the ram for something more. Also get wd red drives. they are made for raid and have a better track record than segate.

After spending a lot of time looking at expensive "half-enterprise" intel boards and CPUs, I just CBA with it. I'm going to go the AMD route with a slightly larger case with fan filters and a better HDD bay.

The FX-4300 supports AES and ECC RAM and Asus are cool enough to include support for ECC RAM in most of their boards. The CPU has a higher TDP but the chances are it's going to be idling most of the time anyway and will be on-par with an i3.

Case: Fractal Define Mini (£68)

Mobo: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 (£55.24)

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz QUAD-CORE 95w (£75.50)

Network Cards: 2x Intel EXPI9301CTBLK (£20.17/ea)

PSU: Corsair CP-9020058-UK CXM Builder series 430W £40

Total: £279 ($457.28)

Then just add drives...