[FREENAS] setup lagg fails

Good day everyone,

I’m trying to set up link aggregation.
I have a intel dual nic in my system. they are working, because i tested them by connecting them as my main connection and i was able to connect to the server every time.

I start by setting up the freenas connected over the broadcom onboard nic(10.10.10.2).
I’ve used the consel and web-ui to setup the link aggregation. I set it up as a LACP protocol ussing the two intel nic’s (em0 and em1)

next i when in my netgear gs724t to link the port in there

The link shows as link is up. But when i try to connect to the network i get no IP and if i give it a free IP it still cannot connect to the network.

I’m sure i’m doing something wrong or mis some kind of setting.
But as i’m a network noob, i’m totally lost.

Could some guru help me out?

Think the can of beer did me wonders.
Did i’t all once more and look all is well and working.
Got myself 3 nic’s bonded in to a 3 Gb connection to my nas.

haha great time ahead!

Make sure if the switch has any hashing options for LAG that you set it to IP rather than MAC otherwise it will only do fail over.

Just be aware that if this is for home use, its probably pointless outside of for shits and giggles or learning. Sure you’ll get failover, but the link aggregation won’t let you get 3 Gbit out of a single stream (unfortunately), but it can load balance different devices over the 3 connections.

In a home environment the chances of trying to do 3 connections at gigabit each at the same time is… very remote.

3 Likes