FreeNAS potential USB stick problem, how to transfer pools?

Or just ignore the error and be happy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I’m happy right now.

An hour or so ago I shut down my folding setup to convert it back to a regular PC for the summer.
I opened the case to disconnect the external GPUs and the Win8.1 SSD … and found a pair of 1TB 860EVOs in there. 0 hours on them, the power cables weren’t connected.
I bought and partially installed those last year with the idea of putting Linux Mint on one after the winter and using the other one for VMs and/or seeding, but then completely forgot about them.

Just installed the EVOs in the NAS, and now the error is gone. (well, I did have to unmount and destroy the old dataset before removing the Crucials and create a new dataset and share after installing the Samsungs, but you get the idea).

ok

I’ll put the Crucials in the PC instead, they’ll work just fine there without throwing fake errors.
Problem solved!

2 Likes

I think it’s the controller on the SSD’s, that’s the cause of the system alerts.
When I build my nas ~ 1,5 years ago, I decided to use two mirrored SSD’s instead of a pair of usb keys.
I got two 120 gb Sandisk SSD’s, and got the same alerts as you. SMART data was fine, no faults on the ssd’s, Freenas just didn’t like them. I then bought a pair of Kingston UV500’s, which use a MarvelL Dean controller. And they gave no errors.

So it might just be that those crucial sdd’s you got also has a controller that freenas just doesn’t like.

1 Like

did op spin the USB 180 degrees? I got 99 problems, but USB-C solves one

1 Like