FreeNAS Pool Migration, iSCSI doesn't show devices

Hello All,

I recently migrated a pair of zvol’s from one FreeNAS machine to another. I have copied the iSCSI configuration screens side by side to ensure they are correct.

At this time it appears I am able to connect and establish the iSCSI path but no devices will pass through.

My intent is to set this up between FreeNAS and ESX however I created a new set of configuration and duplicated this from FreeNAS to Windows.

Any ideas on what I need to poke to get this working?

Thanks,

c2cahoon

1 Like

There shouldn’t be any tricks to it. Just double check all your client and server settings, make sure things are running, try creating a new zvol and making sure that works, etc.

1 Like

That was my thought, I created a new test zvol and tried to pass it through and it didn’t work either.

I’m going to setup a FreeNAS VM so I can approach it with a 100% clean fresh system and see if I can replicate the issue.

I was able to reproduce the problem in a clean environment, I setup a new FreeNAS installation, Configured iSCSI and a 100GB zvol and I can connect but not see any devices.

Trying with an older release of FreeNAS to see if that is potentially the issue.

I was able to setup 11.1-U7 and using the same configuration everything works as expected.

It appears there is a bug with version 11.2-U5.

What are the steps to reproduce? I suggest starting with this guide
https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2-U5/sharing.html#block-iscsi

I went through those steps and it worked, though it did take me a while to figure out that I had forgotten the last step, creating the associated target.

I don’t think I am missing anything, Here is the config from a high level.

CHAP is working as I needed to apply the username/password for it to show connected in Windows, if I apply the wrong information I receive a definite error.

Let me know if you see something that I am missing or would like for me to dive into any of these settings further for more clarity.

Nothing obvious jumping out at me. Anything logged in /var/log/messages on FreeNAS?

If I force a bad password I can make it show CHAP fails to authenticate, however when it appears to connect successfully no logs are generated at all.

It seems to work without CHAP using a whole disk as an extent, let me try setting it up with chap and using a zvol.

1 Like

Worked with CHAP (not mutual chap) and a ZVOL too. I think I created the zvol extent right at least? I set it as “file” ok that’s probably wrong hold on - yep with an actual zvol it still works.

zvol

Target Global Configuration

Portal

Initiator

Authorized Access

Target

Extent

Associated Target

Discovery

Target

Success

I’m going to have myself an adult beverage and step away from this tonight, I’ll review your posts against mine and see if there are any differences tomorrow.

Thanks for the effort,

c2cahoon

1 Like

I was able to get the iSCSI luns mounted to both VMware and Windows.

The only change was setting the LUN ID from 501, 502 to 101 and 102 respectively.

From the FreeNAS documentation

LUN ID integer Select or enter a value between 0 and 1023 . Some initiators expect a value less than 256 . Use unique LUN IDs for each associated target.

Turns out if I just RTFM a little closer I’d have probably saved myself some Excedrin.

1 Like