FreeNAS low budget build

Hello! I’m ICT-technician student and i want to build NAS

I have already
i7-3770s and mobo
4gb of ram
120gb ssd
450w corsair psu

But i need atleast 3 big capacity HDD’s on a budget, witch is easier said and done, usally there is some 4tb drives on the used market pretty cheap, but that only gives me 12TB of storage, witch is okay for now, but in the long term that would be filled up fast. But now my budget for my drives is 100€uros

alot of people recommend shucking external drives.

2 Likes

But nowadays the manufacturers are aware of this and changed the traditional SATA to something propietary.

I havent seen that but mostly looking at 8+tb drives

Is there any local computer recycle locations?

I actually work on Computer Repair shop, they have just 1tb drives literally sitting there collecting dust.

Why not use those and just get a used HBA?

Oh, whats HBA?

Also, i want to use iSCSI for games lol

something like
LSI 9305-24i There are way cheaper ones out there thats just the first one that came to mind, would recommend like a 16i tho if you gonna eat up 8x of pcie

This is not an intentional step to make shuckers life difficult, just they used an enterprise drive meant for use with a sas controller. As @mutation666 says this isn’t common for drives under 8TiB which is your price range.

Depending on your market take a walk around your local big box store or grocery store’s computer bits section. In the UK Tesco and Sainsbury (equivalent of Walmart) regularly have sales on this sort of stuff.

There was a 10TiB WD drive on sale on Amazon last week for $170.

If you are just mobilising your first nas I wouldn’t worry about multi disk resilience. Just get one big disk and make sure you backup (to several 1TiB drives perhaps if these are available)

ISCSI should work fine but don’t expect performance miracles if using older gear

My only question is, how reliable are WD Blues as in NAS use? they seem 30 dollars cheaper at the same capacity.

Or i could go 4tb WD red witch is really fine right now, i don’t even have 2tb of files in my pc right now, and there would be still a good chunk left for games.

Hard to say specifically whether the blues are more or less reliable due to single drive variance, it depends on so many variables. I would suggest that one or two drives should be fine. ive been running WD greens and blues in my NAS for years and they are as performant as the reds. Reds are meant to have “features” that are good for NAS but at small scale it makes little diference.

you can usually find out which drives are able to shuck by checking out who else is shucking them

Until you have a drive failure and then during the rebuild you will understand.

I will be going with the WD Red 4tb for now, i can always add 3 more of them if i need to, giving me 12tb of storage witch is really overkill for my use, unless i start backing up my windows system every day.

I think you missed a step. first you will need to calculate how much storage you really need right now. 12 TB seems much, planning to run plex? personally I did the opposite. I first bought a 6 TB drive new. and then waited a couple of months and bought the other one. I’m running a raid 1 so therefore a bit of a larger disk. The whole point you see these guys trowing harddisks around is because they have accompanist them over the years. Many of my disk are completely free because I took them out of a dead pc a did support on. Since you are still a student a can image you don’t have a closet full of spare hardware, but this will come. For now I would keep it simple and expand in the future.

this is not correct i just build a nas with 6 WD 12 TB white disk they use the standard sata connector they are supposed to be not working if they get 3.3 volt but that’S super easy to fix with a molex to sata adaptor(i didn’t even bother to check this because it is a waste of time).

so in short shucking still works totally fine just use a molex to sata adapter.

WD white are supposed to be similar if not the same as WD RED.

Well i do need lots of it considering running steam cache and having my 200 steam games installed while having space to pictures etc.

Blues use the exact same mechanism as Reds and Purples. The firmware is even the same, only difference is some different features are enabled/disabled. I’ve got Blues in NAS boxes for years, and have had less failures than on Reds.

Even have a few servers in production with a pair of 500GB Blues in RAID1 for the OS drive.

All that said, I moved to using Toshiba drives a few years ago, they’re cheap and are basically a HGST drive - a brand new 4TB Toshiba N300 NAS drive looks and works identically to a HGST Deskstar NAS from 2014.